Large Scale Central

Disintegrating Bolsters on Bachmann Fn3 Murphy Roof Boxcar

The Bachmann Fn3 Murphy Roof Boxcars I own have had several instances of disintegrating stirrup steps and have heard lots of stories about disintegrating trucks, but today was a first for me. One of my Murphy Roof box cars was having lots of trouble staying on the track. When it came inside at the end of the session I noticed the truck was out of place. Closer inspection revealed that the bolster had broken and the truck was floating freely.

Removing what was left of the bolster was quite a chore since the truss rods and some brake hardware run through them. I ended up breaking most of the queens posts trying to get the rods out of the remains of the bolster. What I ended up with was just a pile of broken white metal parts, an intact truck and several brass truss rods…

I’ll give Bachmann Service a call and see if they have any replacement bolsters kicking around. Even with a new part, this is going to be a major repair project.

Have a look here Jon https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=69_674_134 I have had the same happen to my Murphy roof box car. First the trick frames shattered, then the side steps, finally the bolsters. The issue is a faulty batch of Mazak (not white metal) castings that affected a whole host of these cars at one point. Accucraft trucks and bolsters can be made to fit too, but the car will ride about 2 mm higher. At one point Bachmann did FOC replacements, but not now. I tried last year.

Fittings like queen posts and side steps can be bought from Ozark. Those are white metal. There are ways to at least the center boss truck mount from the bolster and reuse it. It involves tapping a thread right through from the body side, M3, to partially use as a mount to the box car body leaving just enough thread for the truck to mount too. Max

Thanks Max. Repairs, including replacing the queens posts are not beyond may abilities. Just more of a project than I can take on right now so it will sit on the RIP track for a while.

Jon, if you need Ozark parts let me know, I can probably supply them.

1 Like

I bought a ton of these cars when they came out. The white metal is junk. I managed to get something like 8 sets of trucks and bolsters from them. I’ve had trucks disintegrate, trucks and bolsters gall together so the truck doesnt rotate. I have one car I’m trying to replace the bolsters on, and I dont know if I can get it apart enough without breaking other things. Frustrating. I think Im going to end up 3d printing a pseudo-bolster that I can just epoxy in place in the hole from where I cut everything else out of.

Bob, Jon,

i have a resin that has held up well that may be used for this as well. the pilot truck on my connie, which still tends to derail too much is made of this material and has jammed itself into switches and will physically stop forward motion, has seen zero failures or damage in several years of operation. this material is similar to milk jugs. would be happy to print out a couple for trial from bob’s file. will be a few days before i am able to do because of my own handy cap at the moment as my right arm is in a huge ball of gauze from hand surgery. apparently i wore out the tendon to my index finger and it broke, last wendsday they attached a harvested piece back in place.

Al P.

Rick Marty said:

Jon, if you need Ozark parts let me know, I can probably supply them.

Thanks Rick. I have a pretty good stock myself, so I should be OK. I’ll give you a holler if not, but it will be mid-winter before this pops up on the to-do list.

As Max pointed out, Bachmann still lists bolsters and or truck/bolster combos as available in some (not all) colors. Before I’ll order I’ll give them a call and see if I can get a few as warranty replacements. I think I have 3 of these cars and up to now, the only problem has been the stirrup steps.

As Max pointed out, Bachmann still lists bolsters and or truck/bolster combos as available

I think I’d buy the Accucraft versions.

Al Pomeroy said:

Bob, Jon,

i have a resin that has held up well that may be used for this as well. the pilot truck on my connie, which still tends to derail too much is made of this material and has jammed itself into switches and will physically stop forward motion, has seen zero failures or damage in several years of operation. this material is similar to milk jugs. would be happy to print out a couple for trial from bob’s file. will be a few days before i am able to do because of my own handy cap at the moment as my right arm is in a huge ball of gauze from hand surgery. apparently i wore out the tendon to my index finger and it broke, last wendsday they attached a harvested piece back in place.

Al P.

Sheesh, Al. Perhaps it’s time to STOP pointing out things??? Sure hope NOT. :yum:. (Where does one harvest tendons? Or is it better we don’t know??)

Bruce,

Apparently some of us have a spare in the wrist, and that is where mine came from. the doctor told me he didn’t have one. my follow up is still a few days out and will get the details then, as his initial thought was to connect back to the adjacent finger. according to what little i have seen and heard i was in surgery longer than expected, and i suspect what was left was not suitable to be reattached.

Al P.

Last week I finally spoke with Bachmann. Laura in the Warranty Dept. said that the supply of free replacements was gone, but when I pointed out that they were still listed as in-stock in the parts department she offered to send me one set free as a courtesy and that I would have to pay for any additional, so I ordered and paid for one set.

Both packages arrived today.

Even though the photo shows the bolster and some stirrup steps are included, what I received was just trucks :frowning_face:

EDIT - I should have entirely opened the package. They are as pictured on the website - I just couldn’t see it through the bubble wrap.

Well the manufacturer is still standing behind the product then ?

Pretty much. Not exact replacement as they are wrong color, but it will fix the issue on the one I can prove was bought new.

YMMV

I don’t understand old guy logo’s like YMMV but glad it’s resolved!

YMMV= Your mileage may vary
:sunglasses:

edit to add
YMMV could also be
Years Make Minds Versatile

In my case it was Your Mileage May Vary because Max stated above that they would not give him the free replacements. So just 'cause they gave me two doesn’t mean the next person to try will get any.

Google is your friend, just search something like:

what does YMMV mean?

I have 15 I bought from them and could only get six sets. Plus, the bolsters are a nightmare to replace. Im pondering designing a 3D printed one that will snap on easier or something.

Yes, the bolsters are a nightmare with the truss rods running trough them. On the one car that has totally failed I’ve already removed the rods, so installing the new bolsters will be somewhat easier. I’ll probably need to replace the queens posts too as I broke them removing the truss rods. Time to look through my Ozark & Rodney castings to see what I have.