Large Scale Central

Weathering Buildings

after looking at some of the buildings with a more critical eye I have decided the brick buildings need a little something to make them look right. So since its about 110* here, I am inside , so I got some paint out and went to work on a little aging process

here is a comparison between the untouched section on the right and the washed section on the left. Its better, but I am not sure if I need to work some more on blending of if once its outside it will be good to go

there is the whole building after a couple of hours of messing around.

Now to start to figure out how to make signs for the different businesses.

I took this building and spent a couple of hours last weekend with an Exacto knife and a LOT of blue tape to repaint the brick, then today some more washing to make the colors muted and help the brick stand out

I should have taken a picture while it was all taped up but that tape after a while wants to let go so I had to get it out to the paint booth, ( garbage can )

then forgot to take a picture of it before adding the white and wiping the excess off .

I think the part I left the natural color needs something done to it, the more I look the more I don’t like the yellowish look to what was probably supposed to be tan so this may not be finished yet, if I paint it , it will be with a brush, I don’t think I want to do a whole day of taping again!

The wash looks very good. Has that faded look.

Nice work Pete. The 3 story brick building looks so much better! Nothing like shiney paint/plastic to shout “not real” !! On the body shop, it might be the two tone that’s not sitting right with you. I can’t think of an example I’ve ever seen that combined red and yellow brick. But what do I know (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Perhaps a dark wash on the yellow brick to highlight the grout like the light wash did on the red?

IMG_4951 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

In some of my heavy weathering effects I like the multiple colored brick, Of course not all buildings used multiple color bricks

Nice work!

I think that what is “typically” needed is flat paint and perhaps some grout. I always enjoyed putting newly painted buildings outside and just letting nature weather them. To each his own.

Our 110+ summers will kill plastic quickly so I am for now taking most everything in for the summer. Right now the monsoon season is starting up and the winds can blow stuff all over. About late August or so I will bring things back out and let them weather some more.

I’ve tried and tried to use the wash technique, but I just can’t get it right. Finally settled on the opposite approach - spray paint everything with the grout color, then carefully sponge on brick color. Takes forever, but by mixing and matching colors, it can look like different bricks were used, which helps to delineate the three businesses operating out of the building on the left. These aren’t weathered, but a little weathering powder and a fresh topcoat of clear UV is probably in the future.

Neal that is good weathering

Nice job on the same Colorado Model buildings Neal! I like the signs on the buildings and wondering how you made them?

All the signs are made using a Silhouette Vinyl cutter and Oracal 651 vinyl.

Neal;

Really nice weathering. I know the horse is a figure, but the parakeet looks real. Is it?

Regards, David Meashey