Forums General General Discussion
  • Topic: may be the first right-angle culvert I've ever seen

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 12, 2021 8:13 AM EDT
      • Missouri, It's like Floodsburg, man

• Thanks

may be the first right-angle culvert I've ever seen

Ya know, that may be the first right-angle culvert I've ever seen.
      https://www.railpictures.net/photo/768852/

A former Seaboard Coast Line GP38-2 leads Sunday's Gauley Trolley eastbound along the Kanawha River at East Bank, sporting back-to-back conventional cabs, a caboose, and empty hoppers for Alloy.

• April 12, 2021 1:24 PM EDT
      • Post Falls, Idaho

• Thanks

That's interesting. Must not ever get much water moving through it. I can see why they would think it was a good idea so it didn't wash out the tracks but hydraulically its horrible.

• April 12, 2021 6:59 PM EDT
      • Curmudgeon at Large, Lynn Haven, FL

• Thanks

Devon Sinsley said:

SNIP . I can see why they would think it was a good idea so it didn't wash out the tracks but hydraulically its horrible.

Devon, you hit the nail on the head. That is done to divert the flow and reduce the velocity of storm water running out of that drain line.  Left to it's devices with out the vertical leg, the damage to the road bed would be extensive in any heavy rain storm,  It's NOT SUPPOSED to be good for the hydraulics.

We don't stop playing with trains because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing with trains.....

• April 13, 2021 1:42 AM EDT
      • Missouri, It's like Floodsburg, man

• Thanks

Finally got around to finding the location on Google Maps. Street View shows that the right-angle mod was done after image capture in September 2013.

It also shows the Street View car had a few leaves stuck to the north side of its camera dome.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2104954,-81.4554763,3a,52.8y,198.09h,91.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stp3uMZoGLovvDQimAJPIuQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• April 13, 2021 9:24 AM EDT
      • Post Falls, Idaho

• Thanks

Bob Cope said:
      Devon Sinsley said:

SNIP . I can see why they would think it was a good idea so it didn't wash out the tracks but hydraulically its horrible.

Devon, you hit the nail on the head. That is done to divert the flow and reduce the velocity of storm water running out of that drain line.  Left to it's devices with out the vertical leg, the damage to the road bed would be extensive in any heavy rain storm,  It's NOT SUPPOSED to be good for the hydraulics.

I have no problem with a 90 degree bend, But it should be a sweeping bend. But I am also used to working with pressurized water systems not low volume low pressure drainage. I am sure it works just fine. But working with pipe design most of my life it just looks odd to see a pipe do that.

• April 13, 2021 9:39 AM EDT
      • Roanoke, VA

• Thanks

I have seen few examples like that beside I-64 where it goes through the Blue Ridge range.  The same interstate also has some runaway lanes for semis.

Regards, David Meashey

• April 17, 2021 1:58 AM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

I'm just shocked that the freight train has an actual CABOOSE in 2021! I didn't know any railroads still used them.

• April 17, 2021 12:04 PM EDT
      • Curmudgeon at Large, Lynn Haven, FL

• Thanks

Devon Sinsley said:
      Bob Cope said:
      Devon Sinsley said:

I have no problem with a 90 degree bend, But it should be a sweeping bend. But I am also used to working with pressurized water systems not low volume low pressure drainage. I am sure it works just fine. But working with pipe design most of my life it just looks odd to see a pipe do that.

Under normal flow calculations I would agree that a sweeping turn is better. But in this case, the INTENT is to damage the flow and generate turbulence, therefore the HARD 90. 

We don't stop playing with trains because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing with trains.....

• April 18, 2021 10:39 AM EDT
      • Peoria, NW of Phoenix, Arizona

• Thanks

Ray Dunakin said:

I'm just shocked that the freight train has an actual CABOOSE in 2021! I didn't know any railroads still used them.

Ray I had to go back after t reading your comment, didn't pay a bit of attention to the caboose.

Side note, here in Phoenix the BNSF line has a wye near Grand ave and 43rd ave and they store a caboose there they use as a shove car. I need to take a picture of it as it is a well graffitied extended vision caboose

The Babs River Railway

We can do that, but its gonna cost you... a lot more

Forums General General Discussion

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google