Large Scale Central

Chuff Magnets

What are the best sixe and type of Chuff Magnets.

I am putting two on an axle and looking for good performance with a reed switch.

For example should I use N42 or N48 strength for best performance especially at speed.

Are bar magnets easier to use or should I use round ones.

Neodymium magnets are now pupular and have increased magnatism for a small space. Are these now a better choise for chuff applications?

Thanks

Stan

I have always had good luck with Radio shacks small rare earth magnets

well that wont work, out of stock

I bought 100 of them through Amazon. The exact one I got is no longer available but here’s the quick description. Seems to work ok for me:

1.5mm Round Neodymium Rare Earth Disc Magnets N42

I have oodles left. PM to let me know if you want me to send you some… I certainly don’t need all I have on hand…

Stanley Ames said:

What are the best sixe and type of Chuff Magnets.

I am putting two on an axle and looking for good performance with a reed switch.

For example should I use N42 or N48 strength for best performance especially at speed.

Are bar magnets easier to use or should I use round ones.

Neodymium magnets are now pupular and have increased magnatism for a small space. Are these now a better choise for chuff applications?

Thanks

Stan

Stan,

You could always model Amtrak as they have no need for chuffs?

Just saying (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

For reed switches I have used the round ones like what Phoenix sound supplies and I also found some flat ones from digi-key that have 2 slots (oblong holes) for securing in place with screws or even computer mother board standoffs. I also used these standoffs to repair USA trains broken posts.

I just bought some small rounds ones this morning at an Ace Hardware ! I think there where 8 in a package !