Large Scale Central

Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading

With the demise of the other publication, I was excited to see that Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading has resurrected their regular column called “Garden Steam”. Charlie Zimmerman is heading it up and to my delight, 3 of our friends Shawn Viggiano, Dave Russel and Rex Ammerman are mentioned in the first Article in the January/February 2021 issue. Its a good read, give it a try if you can.

Ric;

I’ll be sure to look for that issue at the hobby shop where I work part time. The owner gets about 5 - 6 copies of that magazine, and there are usually leftovers. That means I stand a pretty good chance of snagging a copy. If things look promising, I may get a subscription. Presently NG&SLG is the only subscription I have.

Thanks, David Meashey

Steam in the Garden is still around as far as I know. now Garden Railroader is gone the way of the dodo bird. The Brits have GardenRail, which is really good, especially for the live steam scene in the garden. But a subscription here in the states is a bit salty. Our local Booksamillion book store used to carry a nice selection of UK railroad magainzes both model and real but sadly that source has dried up. Mike

Hey Ric, Thanks for posting this. I just noticed the “Garden Steam” column resurrection, meant to post it here and you beat me to it. This is very timely and encouraging. With so many of the magazines becoming fallen flags as just noted this Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading magazine is still full, like the old days. The current issue is 66 pages. The bi-monnthly publication is usually thicker but with all of the event cancellations this year material was sparse. I know that my (our) track, Mill Creek Central Railroad in Cochocton, OH, had planned on a huge convention this past summer but had to cancel and put it off until 2022 due to Covid. They have had numerous articles in LS&OR.

Anyone can get a no cost/no obligation issue simply by going to their website: livesteam.net. Click the magazine tab and then the no-obligation tab.

This magazine is definitely pertinent here at LSC. The material usually covers gauges a little bit larger than large scale but still large scale, right? As Ric just mentioned they are once again offering a regular section for 45mm live steam. I find the blend of 45mm gauge track and 7 1/2" gauge track a perfect fit for me. And lots of the clubs have tracks of many different gauges allowing members to run their locos and trains of various gauges without having to build and maintain their own railroad.

In reference to Devon’s thread New meaning to tank engine there were many comparisons to a Lombard Log Hauler. On their previous issue Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading magazine just completed a 14 part series on building a functional live steam powered Lombard Log Hauler. Although it’s in 7 1/2" gauge, it’s pretty cool.

Thanks Ric for the post. I just got a subscription. I look forward to reading more about Garden railways in it.

Shawn Viggiano said:

Thanks Ric for the post. I just got a subscription. I look forward to reading more about Garden railways in it.

Nothing like catching up and you ain’t that old yet !

Rooster said:

Shawn Viggiano said:

Nothing like catching up and you ain’t that old yet !

I had to take a break. I wanted you to build up your self esteem. You’ve become very sensitive over the years.