Large Scale Central

coupler suggestion

Looking for suggestion on which Kadee coupler I should use to convert a aristocraft #4512 gondola which is a 2 axle car?

Bill,

I am NOT a coupler guy at all, but when YOU are looking for recommendations, you really need to tell us YOUR preferences: do you operate, or do you just go roundy round?(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Bill - There are a couple choices you need to make before a sound recommendation can be made. First you need to decide which scale Kadee coupler you are going to use.The #1 scale coupler is the smaller of the two. They look more scale but are a bit more fragile than the ‘G’ scale coupler. The ‘G’ scale coupler is larger and more robust. Part of this choice is usually governed by your chosen operating scale (1:32, 1:29,1:24. etc) and standard gauge vs narrow gauge. And lastly, does it meet your eye’s approval.

Nest thing is are you going to body mount the couplers or truck mount.This will govern what couplers will be recommended for each scenario. As for installation, you will likely not install Kadee couplers on the four wheel rolling stock with out modifying the car. That said my first recommendation will be after decision of which scale and mounting method, purchase at least one Kadee gauge for the scale coupler you are going to use.

Bill;

If you decide to use the Kadee G size coupler, I may have a suggestion. My Loughbrau Trollish Punch car has the same chassis as your gondola. I used body-mounted Kadee 905 couplers. They can be screwed or bolted into the end beams of the chassis. The one difference on the chassis of my car is that I had to cut away the steps and make custom stirrup steps (His feet were too broad!). You can see one 905 coupler pretty well in the attached photo:

Best Wishes, David Meashey

That car has axles that insert in the body frame so only body mount will work as there is no truck that swivels with wheels. ART 40000 series gondola.

Thanks Dave and Dan, after scrounging around I found a pair of 830 body mount and after cutting the pillar that the stock coupler mounts to found that it fits great and without shims, also had some 905 but decided on the 830 as it seemed to have more L/R movement, Thanks again, Bill

I use 830’s on everything, and think they are the best. They sometimes require a lot of cutting or shimming,