Large Scale Central

Making custom battery packs?

I’ve come to the conclusion that I have to replace my old Nimh battery packs on my locomotives. All the locomotives are USAT 4 axle units (GP9 , GP30 & F unit) so I have plenty of space to tear out the old batteries and replace them. Looking around online, it seems that 2000-4000 NimH C cells are pretty cheap. They come with tabs to solder different combinations of packs using the 1.2 v cells.

I’ve always read that soldering batteries was a hard thing to do? Is it? Or should I stick with a prepacked 14.2 setup?

And no I’m not convinced to switch to lipo at this time because that would require it installing a circuit protection board and also purchasing a new charger as the one I have only works for NIMH.

Thoughts?

When I make my own battery packs I get the batteries with tabs attached and solder to the tabs. I then make sure everything is insulated well.

I used to make my own. It was cheaper and they could be configured into any shape you needed.

Eventually I changed over to LiOn since they were smaller and lasted longer. Fortunately the charger I had worked for them also.

Now it’s just easier to order the whole shebang at one time, batteries, R/C, and sound system.

Craig,

With the proper soldering iron, easy… I think its time to move on NiMh is old technology. Li-Po’s with balance charge pigtail and charger is as good as it gets. Proper fuse protection together with a $4.00 plug-n-play Low Volt warning/audible alarm is all you need.

Michael

I completely agree that Nimh is old technology, but it works for me.

The prices between Lipo and Nimh aren’t that much different, and I’ve already got a Nimh charger. I really don’t want to spend more than I need to. I’ve never really ran into a situation where Nimh have failed me and my 2-3 hour run time is about all I need.

when soldering I clean the surface, use paste, and then a good hot iron and no water for cleaning the tip (water cools the tip0.\).

My favorite soldering ‘iron’ is my 50 year old weller 150 watt gun. After that is my temperature soldering station. The gun is hotter and faster for big jobs. I got a bigger weller over 300 watt gun and can do rails with that one.

Craig Townsend said:

I completely agree that Nimh is old technology, but it works for me.

The prices between Lipo and Nimh aren’t that much different, and I’ve already got a Nimh charger. I really don’t want to spend more than I need to. I’ve never really ran into a situation where Nimh have failed me and my 2-3 hour run time is about all I need.

Craig,

I completely agree with sticking with the NiMH. I have 8 locos set up with them and 4 chargers. I am not about to move on!