Large Scale Central

EBT Box cars

Well it took a bit but got some new boxcars. These are EBT style boxcars all in brass made by Pline in India. Working doors and latches. They will need trucks and couplers. I put them up next to a Rich Yoder 40T hopper.

I just love the weight! These will clunk nicely over the joints!

They look nice! Custom made for you? Says discontinued.

Jason

Custom made for you? Says discontinued.

I would be surprised if they wouldn’t make you another one or two. But these latest ones are much improved over the one they made me a few years ago. Mine is photographed on their datasheet - see if you can spot the major problem (which is why I cancelled the deal.)

http://pline.co.in/index_files/datasheet/PEBTS.pdf

7/8 (or larger) scale rivets on a 1:20(ish) car? I prefer Bobs kits with no rivets.

Jon Radder said:

7/8 (or larger) scale rivets on a 1:20(ish) car? I prefer Bobs kits with no rivets.

Yeah, I think Bob did it RIGHT. You can do what you want.

I ended up using some small drops of textured paint for mine.

I really MUST build at least one of those this winter. I’m not certain, but I think I have at least two if not 4 kits squirreled away. I think your rivets look great Bruce.

EDIT to add - Lorna’s cars look much better than the current offering. The rivets on her’s look fine.

Pete - you said - "see if you can spot the major problem (which is why I cancelled the deal.)

http://pline.co.in/index_files/datasheet/PEBTS.pdf"

Consensus is the rivets, is this why you cancelled the order? Are the guys correct?

Consensus is the rivets, is this why you cancelled the order? Are the guys correct?

Nope. Although I was offered several sizes of rivets and assumed I would be getting scale sized ones! The ones on mine were very large.

Here’s the pic of my boxcar. Compare it with Bruce’s photo above and you should spot the major problem immediately.

This is Lorna’s new boxcar, slightly enlarged and lightened. I think the rivets are a tad smaller. (Lorna - send me or post a bigger pic so we can see your rivets?)

Grabs, brake staff, roof walk, Heareld ???

Rick Marty said:

Grabs, brake staff, roof walk, Heareld ???

No - not the biggest problem. I added my own herald - boxcar red was all I expected. Yes, all the details were a bit large on mine.

OK. How about the fact that everything on my car is mirror-image. The grabs up to the brakewheel are at the wrong end, the brake wheel is on the wrong side, etc. Would you consider that a major issue? [As I told the current owner, it is fine until someone brings a correct version along!]

I never understood how someone could interpret the drawings backwards. Maybe they had a special way of transferring the drawing to metal that reversed everything?

Some minor issues were that the spacing of the bracing was wrong and the door was too small. It’s pretty obvious when you look at the above photos.

Clearly the latest build supplied to Lorna is much better. But they are still very expensive, and the shipping is $$$.

Well duhhh, It’s plain as day once pointed out, I sure didn’t catch it.

Took that last weekend

Rooster said:

Took that last weekend

Was that after having ( I’m afraid to use this) an adult slushy ?

Pete Thornton said:

Nope. Although I was offered several sizes of rivets and assumed I would be getting scale sized ones! The ones on mine were very large.

Here’s the pic of my boxcar. Compare it with Bruce’s photo above and you should spot the major problem immediately.

This is Lorna’s new boxcar, slightly enlarged and lightened. I think the rivets are a tad smaller. (Lorna - send me or post a bigger pic so we can see your rivets?)

More obvious against THIS picture…

Maybe they used a mirror instead of a magnifying glass?(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Rooster said:

Took that last weekend

Was that after having ( I’m afraid to use this) an adult slushy ?

Nope …someone had to drive home and I was that someone.

I wish we had those slushies up here in Mass …

Pete,

Earlier in my career, I worked with an engineer who had extreme dyslexia. his drawings were the exact mirror image of the desired part. in this first case I was the checker, and because this engineer was an outside contractor, we cut our losses and redrew the work. I ran into the same problem two more time. in my career for the same guy. each time the same problem. this was before 3d drawing was generally accepted practice. it was unfortunate that he didn’t realize his disability.

Al P.

I worked with an engineer who had extreme dyslexia. his drawings were the exact mirror image of the desired part.

He obviously went to live in India. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif)