Large Scale Central

Which Tsunami Decoder

Wanting to put DCC into a LGB 2063 single powered diesel. Having Tsunami in my HOn3 engines and happy with it I was wondering what model # decoder I would need for the LGB engine, I guess mainly what I’m asking can I get by with a 2amp decoder, or will I have to go with the 4amp model at $70.00 more in price. What do you use in your DCC G scale engines that you are happy with.

trainman

2-amp should be fine for that loco. I’ve got a 2-amp TCS in mine and it works great.

Later,

K

When I put dcc/sound decoder in the Davenport loco, I took the time to dremel out the fake screen in the grill. I found a 2 inch square speaker that has a great fit and I used Christmas ribbon to simulate the screen. My decoder was a Zimo and it had awesome startup sounds like cranking up the engine plus a rough idle, and a clunk when reversing direction. I also added remote controled Kadee operation (used my own servo and an off the shelf Kadee), and then programmed the Zimo waltz. Sound volume is also remote controlled. Hopefully some of these mods I did will help John or others.

Dan Pierce said:

When I put dcc/sound decoder in the Davenport loco, I took the time to dremel out the fake screen in the grill. I found a 2 inch square speaker that has a great fit and I used Christmas ribbon to simulate the screen. My decoder was a Zimo and it had awesome startup sounds like cranking up the engine plus a rough idle, and a clunk when reversing direction. I also added remote controled Kadee operation (used my own servo and an off the shelf Kadee), and then programmed the Zimo waltz. Sound volume is also remote controlled. Hopefully some of these mods I did will help John or others.

Thanks for the grill and speaker information. I did order an extra front grill on eBay to practice on, I didn’t want to start working on my original grill and mess it up to where it might become unusable. I’m going to try to remove the #50 and the D&RGW lettering on the cab, being a modeler I have done this several times before. I have used pencil erasers and both thinner on a Q-Tip with very light rubbing, the biggest problems are it you can get it off with out disturbing the paint under the lettering. I’m ever considering repainting the front hood and cab to red and lettering to my railroad the Ft. Worth & South-Western, I’v been painting railroad model with the airbrush for some 40 years, so whatever I screw up I can probably fix. The LGB 2063 is really a great little switcher and very will detailed for what it is, if you can post some pics that would be great. Thanks again for all who replied to my post.

trainman

Dan Pierce said:

Don, here is pic of the @50 grill I just finished, pretty much the same as you said, you did. Since I have two of these engines I just ordered another grill to do for the other engine. The screen is maybe a little large, but I think it will look just fine when painted.

trainman