Large Scale Central

DCC Decoder for Bachmann Railtruck

I have a Bachmann Spectrum 1:20.3 Rail truck and i want to know what decoder others are using. i would like one that can power it as well as provide sound. I am using the CVP products Easy DCC 10 amp system. Since the rail truck will not be pulling anything but its self on level track, ( No Grades on layout) can i use a HO scale decoder?

Dan Stuettgen

Colorado & Rio Grande Southern

http://www.danstrains.net

I use the Zimo MX645 on my LGB rail truck, and I pull several cars. Wire version is $85 (1.2 amps) and P22 version is $100 (1.8 amps).

I added a Kadee coupler and ‘chained’ it to a servo and can do remote uncoupling.

Remote volume control is also on these decoders.

Specs are 3 watt audio, can operate 2 servos, can witstand 2.5 amp surge, more than 40 volt surge.

This is an HO decoder but has specs that exceed G scale standards. (NMRA is 22 volts DCC and 27 volts DC, Zimo spec is 30 volts)

There is a free software download for the sound (Oliver zoffi), and there is a ‘lode Code’ at $25 for the decoder to load the different galloping goose sounds from H. Dappen.

I used the free sound and it runs through the gears and has a motor startup sound and ‘floating’ valve sound.

I even use the P22 version on the LGB stainz locos.

My only issue is there is only 1 input sensor on this decoder, but I find the motor speed via Bemf works great. THe newer but not yet available MS decoder should have 2 inputs.

Free free to contact me about how you want to customize the decoder, I have been doing Zimo decoders for over 10 years for Trainli.

I’m a little late to the party, but I’ve got Soundtraxx Tsunami decoders in both of my railcars. They’re the 1-amp version which is plenty. Soundtraxx introduced the Tsunami2 decoders a few years ago, so you can usually find the older Tsunamis going pretty inexpensively, like for $50 or so. For the railtruck sounds, there’s no advantage of the Tsu2 over the older Tsunamis.

Later,

K

Thanks guys for your input. I will probably go with a Tsunami decoder in it as thats what all my other decoders are. dan