Large Scale Central

The Passing of Rick Henderson

We’ve lost one of the Large Scale Originals.

We got word today from the Eagle Point Railroad, a 1.5 inch Live Steam Model Railroad connected to the Chattanooga Society of Model Engineers of the passing of Rick Henderson.

Rick goes way back before the Forums and, I believe, was part of the “Big Trains Listserv” in the early days of the Internet.

I met Rick personally at a couple of the early Garden Railway Conventions and then we renewed our friendship at the Eagle Point Railroad.

Many of you might remember Rick from his website of pages of tips on how to do things and fix problems with the early large scale equipment. He also was building a well documented early 1:20.3 narrow gauge railroad in a basement of a cabin in Tennessee, but the was stopped with a marital break up.

Rick’s final contribution to the hobby was his dedication to the building of the Eagle Point Railroad outside Dunlap, Tennessee. He had an 1.5 inch scale logging train complete with disconnects loaded with camp cabins and steam crane. Our last conversation was centered around this train and his pride in it as he was selling it off. Rick had been ill for a couple of years.

Another of the good ones is gone, but not forgotten.

Ric,

Sorry to hear of Mr. Henderson’s passing.

I remember Rick.

One of the LSOL originals, too.

Published a book on the history of the Shay Locomotive. Ran into a few times when he was promoting his book.

https://www.shaylocomotives.com/

I remember Rick as well.

RIP, my friend.

Ken Brunt said:

I remember Rick.

One of the LSOL originals, too.

Published a book on the history of the Shay Locomotive. Ran into a few times when he was promoting his book.

https://www.shaylocomotives.com/

Holy Cow! I forgot all about his book and website on Shay’s. Yes, he was the Shay Guru. Last evening, after I found out about his passing, I was trying to think of things to say to remind people of who he was and how he impacted the hobby. Lots of the people at the Eagle Point Railroad, knew him for his dedication there and that was on my mind while posting. Thank you Ken for mentioning his Shay work. Wow, would he have been pissed, if that part of his life and legacy was forgotten!

Ken was Rick the one that did the personalized Box Cars?

Ric Golding said:

Ken was Rick the one that did the personalized Box Cars?

Yup. Matter of fact I had saved mine for years.

I’ve been looking for mine. Its in one of those back boxes of stored trash/treasures in this confuser. Boy, back in the day, that was a big deal to have your own Box Car with your railroad credentials on it.

Mine’s probably on some old Zip disc or floppy somewhere.

At one point I had all of them around here somewhere. I may still have them.

Bob McCown said:

At one point I had all of them around here somewhere. I may still have them.

Nostalgia wise it would be cool to find. just saying for a friend.

Rick Henderson Obituary -

https://www.uptonfuneralhome.com/obituary/Richard-Henderson?fbclid=IwAR3lOJ00CpWz_mLqb9ZUoIIgbVKL0AZKeLe8CdQRedm7hoREPqDLIJ8q89s

Thanks for passing on and sorry to hear he had passed. I never met him but I’m sure a lot of folks have and sounds like he was a very Knowledgeable person and helped the hobby. Later RJD

I’m sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family and friends.