Large Scale Central

LGB knuckle coupler compatibility

Since I’m the owner of some 50 pair or LGB knuckle couplers, do note here I purchased them some 35 years ago for around $4.50 pair from Watts Train Shop, I purchase a lot of LGB from them back in the day. I would like to know what other brand of knuckle couples would mate up to them, I realize it won’t be a perfect match, but close is ok. I realize they are large and probably the largest of the knuckle couplers on the market today, but I’m not going to replace them on all my rolling stock, etc. just to get a smaller coupler when they work well and much better then some. Yes, I know about a idler car, but really don’t want to push one around on the front of my engines all the time, wouldn’t look to cool to my grand kids when they come over.

trainman

John, reference here https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/tr-21_ls_coupler_2010.06.15.pdf

John;

From my experience, both the LGB knuckle and the newer Bachmann knuckle (as on the Davenport critter) do play nice with the Kadee G couplers. The main caution is to check height using the Kadee gauge. All three couplers have a fair distance from top to bottom of the knuckle, so you could have as much as an eighth of an inch leeway on level track.

Sliding apart on a grade variance is prototypical. I have seen cars separate themselves going over the hump in a hump yard. The carrier iron (the piece that holds up the shank on a long shank coupler) was broken on one car, so that coupler just slid out of contact at the crest of the hump!

Regards, David Meashey