Large Scale Central

Southern and Gulf RR will be dismantled

SWMBO no, SWWBOWP* orderd, that i have to dismantle my railroad… (* she who will be obeyed with pleasure)

that hit me right between the eyes.

untill she explained.

in four or five years she wants to retire and pass me from semi retired to fully useless. hmmm…

by then she wants our general store to be separated from the house.

well, my office and playroom consists of a roof and two walls connecting house and store.

so, instead of wanting to put me in the freezer, she came up with an idea.

she wants a wing built to the back of the house. about 31 foot wide and about 62 foot long.

half of the width shall be for my office/workshop 15x15ft. and a railroadroom of about 15x46ft.

(the other half of the wing is the real reason for this offer: there she wants a “Quincho” a roofed, open BBQ place. 15ft. table, grill, fireplace, “Tataqua” (beehive-oven), sink and fridge)

… and i thought, my presently (for the last 13 years) slowly growing layout would be my last to build.

but, being only the husband, i (grudgingly, oh so very grudgingly) agreed.

the catch is, now i have to live at least to eighty, to complete a half decent layout…

so, for the next year or so, my railroad-activities will be restricted to dismantling, packing and BSing on the forums.

(the rest of this night surely will be spent on making the first plan of the next layout)

15 x46 !!! That going to be a nice space for you to build on! And we can all

help, with Unwanted comments , suggestions, off topic pages of stuff, and you better post lots of pictures!!! Look forward to seeing it take shape Korm!!
Napkin drawing, maybe with the size you have a roll of paper towels drawing should be forthcoming!

double post, post count upping

thank you all.

Pete, that is about 150 squarefeet more, than i got now.

but it will not be so cold in winter, gets aircondition for the summer and is much nearer to bath- and sleepingroom.

(she really wants her BBQ and outdoor kichen)

I remember starting on the current incarnation of my indoor layout about three years ago. Hadn’t done anything in the train room for almost a decade. Spent the first month hauling out old ‘trash and treasures’ before I could actually see the tabletops. Now…now I got actual scenery…in places.

Good luck! Mayhap you can salvage various buildings and bits of scenery.

Do you have to build the addition ?

Tim, i’m already planning, what and how can be saved.

Sean, sure. - Give me some helpers, and i do it all alone.

seriously - i’ll just do the plans, the supervising/organizing and the paying.

no problem. over the decades i have built 13 new buildings, 3 reconstructions, some alteration/additions and made some plans for other buildings. (including the local police and fire depts. and mutual-insurance office)

each time i made one or two mistakes less…

Cool, I’m very interested in hearing more about this BBQ thingy

hmm, yeah, well…

we got a Porch at the east of the house, that is (as well) 15x46ft. that serves now as party place and as shaded parking lot.

the northermost 15x15ft. will become my office/workshop. the middle stays as dancefloor. in the southern part will stand the pool table.

from my office will go the trainroom eastwards.(15x46ft.)

same size beside it will be an open porch, as well 15x46ft.

looking from the house, the left side will be closed (by the trainroomwall) and the far end will be closed too. the right side will be open to the garden with three arches.

there will be a small table with three or four comfortable gardenchairs, in the middle will be a looong table (about 5 yards) rustic more or less like this one (but with chairs)

in the far end will be the outdoor kitchen. everything that needs a smokestack goes against the far wall.

a hearth, similar to this

a tataqua and a grill like these

well, sink, fridge and a cupboard

… and enough place for later additions (who knows…) and to prolongate the table, when all relatives threaten to come.

what else could i tell about the BBQ?

That sounds awesome Korm! Especially with the climate controlled layout, woo hoo!

The outdoor kitchen & dining room sound amazing too, I’d enjoy seeing progress on that as well as your new layout building construction.

Maybe make a pizza layout to go around that Tataqua, ha!

Sounds like a plan. Look forward to seeing the sketches and then the construction.

my wife wouldn’t like that. we are strictly separated… hobbywise.

we both accept to be married to a person, who has a big spleen. we further the pardner in his/her spleen. but trespassing isn’t in the rules.

progress pics and comments depend on Bob. (if i can keep on posting oldfashioned “http” pics, or not)

Korm Kormsen said:

my wife wouldn’t like that. we are strictly separated… hobbywise.

we both accept to be married to a person, who has a big spleen. we further the pardner in his/her spleen. but trespassing isn’t in the rules.

progress pics and comments depend on Bob. (if i can keep on posting oldfashioned “http” pics, or not)

Not sure where the spleen fits in…

Part of the Tataqua? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

when we visited Europe, she saw too many palace gardens…

this is an over fifty year old quebracho table. weights about 180 pounds.

and that is a long table. i ignore, which eastern paraguayan wood that is. (maybe Timbo) it seats 22.
between 6 strong men we were just able to unload it from the truck and carry it about ten yards to its place.

2 Likes

got one more worth mentioning. german oak. according to my grandpa his grandpa said, it started util lifespan in the early 1700s - in a beer house. (and the style of the legs supports the story)

1 Like

As a wood guy I am glad we got on this topic. I am so used to what I have available and those crazy exotics that everyone knows. But its fun to learn about the common woods of other places. The stuff that grows local and is used by the average wood worker of the area. You have listed a bunch of wood I have never heard of before. That to me is informative and entertaining. Thanks for sharing.