Large Scale Central

WP&Y new locomotives

Big things

Nice looking engines, are those new, or rebuilds, and who manufactured them. I did collect a lot of WP&Y G scale many years ago, I also repainted five LGB passenger cars and had decals made for them by a decal maker. I ended up trading them for other RR stuff and as far as I know the person who has them is still running them on has layout today. The yellow and green paint scheme is so much better looking then the white, blue, and orange ever was.

trainman

John Lenheiser said:

Nice looking engines, are those new, or rebuilds, and who manufactured them. I did collect a lot of WP&Y G scale many years ago, I also repainted five LGB passenger cars and had decals made for them by a decal maker. I ended up trading them for other RR stuff and as far as I know the person who has them is still running them on has layout today. The yellow and green paint scheme is so much better looking then the white, blue, and orange ever was.

trainman

They are new National Railway Equipment builds. E3000-DC running EMD 645 prime movers rated at 3300hp (as I understand because they are a tacked on order with similar locomotives going to Australia the 3000hp is at the rails).

As I understand it is a total order of 10 locomotives and the units arriving this year will be the last in the yellow and green paint scheme. The rest are supposed to be in a black and red design to match the Carnival cruise lines scheme. I have not seen anything about what that might look like and also there is much discussion on how the deliveries planned will go with the cruise lines being impacted currently by the pandemic. As I understand, Canada has not yet lifted restrictions on cruise ships docking at its ports. The Jones Act, requires that foreign flagged ships, which almost all cruise lines are, cannot sail from one US port to another without stopping at a foreign port first.

WP&Y sold four of the DL series Alcos to the Durango and Silverton. I suspect they will be repainted eventually before going into service.

The shovel nose GEs from my understanding though recently receiving new prime mover and being rebuilt will be completely retired. Their fate seems to be iffy. Hopefully they will not be scrapped.

Here is a link to the NRE locomotives going to Australia:

https://www.nre.com/news/international-spotlight-new-class-locomotives-australia

I know not everyone has, uses or wants anything to do with facebook, but if you do there is a video of the unveiling of the new diesels in the black and red paint scheme:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=286196722496177

No need for facebook or what it has to say…the research is at the fingertips. Was my understanding that…never mind as I’m wrong…https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/white-pass-new-locomotives-1.5499628

I really like the Red & Black color scheme. If fact, I like it so much it may have changed my mind on a color change of 45 Ton M-11 which is currently red. I picked up a black chassis from Kevin Strong and have have yelllow hoods and cab. I was going to make it sort of match M-10 which is yellow on a black chassis. As I was digging out the parts to make that change I found some black hoods! So, now I’m thinking that just changing the hoods is a quick job that may give me a look I like: Red chassis with black fuel tank, hardware and gold safety stripes; red cab, black hoods with silver safety stripes and yellow railings! I just never liked the all red with gold stripes.