Large Scale Central

Running my new Casey Jones.

My crown jewel for my Casey Jones collection arrived today. A nice second hand Bowande ICRR #382. Fine tuned by Ryan Bednarik for the first owner(I am the third). Working headlight fitted at that time. Hopefully I can scrape up a bit more $$ to get some of the passenger cars yet this year. Mike

Very good looking engine

Mike,

Congratulations! That looks terrific. I did a little reading up on this loco and my question is “How can it run for 35-50 minutes?” What is the capacity of the boiler and the butane tank? Wow!!!

She can run up to 45min to an hour on one load of fuel. But you keep adding water via the tender. The engine has an axle pump w/bypass and a back up hand pump in the tender. When running you have to refill the tender about every 10 min. Sort of like running one of the alcohol fired Aster steamers, a nice tea pot with a narrow pouring spout works great to refill the tender on the fly so one doesnt have to pause the run every time the tender gets low.

That is a beauty mike i have been giving that engine the old eyeball for a while now, even put in a few bids at Cabin Fever for one.

Eric Schade said:

That is a beauty mike i have been giving that engine the old eyeball for a while now, even put in a few bids at Cabin Fever for one.

And how would you convert it to a 7/8ths scale loco?

I believe Bob Clark has one or two left and he was discounting off the listed price a bit. I was going for one of them but a slight shortfall led to picking this one up second hand instead. But I do hope to get some of his correct passenger car kits to pull with 382 once things settle down at work. It was a stretch and took the selling one of my live steamers and some prewar Lionel to fund the 382. These are alot of engine for the money packing proper valve gear, whistle, axle pump w/bypass along with hand pump in the tender. Bowande is out to make themselves the next Aster in my opinion. Mike

I believe Bob Clark has one or two left and he was discounting off the listed price a bit. I was going for one of them but a slight shortfall led to picking this one up second hand instead. But I do hope to get some of his correct passenger car kits to pull with 382 once things settle down at work. It was a stretch and took the selling one of my live steamers and some prewar Lionel to fund the 382. These are alot of engine for the money packing proper valve gear, whistle, axle pump w/bypass along with hand pump in the tender. Bowande is out to make themselves the next Aster in my opinion. Mike