Large Scale Central

Tunnel material

I am building a layout and I require a six foot tunnel. I am looking for the 12” green pipe to bury. I have no idea what it is called or where to get it. Please help. All answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Timothy Boswell said:

I am building a layout and I require a six foot tunnel. I am looking for the 12” green pipe to bury. I have no idea what it is called or where to get it. Please help. All answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Can’t help with the pipe but with a 6 foot long tunnel have you considered how you would get to a train if it derailed in the middle?

Possibly consider access ports in case that happens, but that could be hard if it buried.

I used a corrugated aluminum culvert pipe for my tunnel as it has edges that ‘lock’ in the dirt around it. Found a 12 inch diameter piece. 18 years and no settling issues.

GAP said:

Timothy Boswell said:

Can’t help with the pipe but with a 6 foot long tunnel have you considered how you would get to a train if it derailed in the middle?

Possibly consider access ports in case that happens, but that could be hard if it buried.

When I had my 1.6 railroad I picked up a piece of 12" green pipe for a tank car I wanted to build at a site when a company was laying a new sewer pipe for the city, it was in there scrape pile and workers there said I could have it. A 6ft. piece of that pipe is really heavy and it took all I had to load it in my pickup. New it comes in 10-12 foot lengths I would think and I would assume the price is pretty high, I think I would op for something else, but not knowing the price it might fit your needs. There is company close to where I live and I see it stacked on there lot, I will see if I can find the website, they may also know of a supplies close to you.

trainman

Check the local DPW yard …they might have some small pieces they would/could give you …

There is a black plastic corrugated pipe available in different diameters that you can get from plumbing supply houses. My brother uses a lot of the 18” for putting risers on septic tanks. Really rugged stuff that won’t rot or collapse under weight.

Try this. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/culvert-hdpe-12-in-x-20-ft-hdpe-1220-1330854?cm_mmc=feed--GoogleShopping--Product-_-1330854&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrLz02K2Y6gIVS-G1Ch1lZQdVEAQYAyABEgI8IfD_BwE

Timothy, you might consider getting 3 of these as an option, since they’re cheaper and might give better clearance.

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/concrete-cement-masonry/construction-concrete-blocks/12-x-12-x-24-clay-modular-flue/1796602/p-1444441456439.htm

They also have 8 x 12. Pretty sure those are all outside dimensions though, so probably subtract 2" for internals (?).

This site talks about 13 x 13, http://www.tlcsupply.com/chimneyaccessories.html

Cliff

Hi Tim;

Just a caution, and you may already be aware of it. A friend of mine was running some tunnels through an embankment on his property when he encountered some large tree roots. He decided to cut through the roots to build his tunnels. Ten years later the trees started dying. He had dealt them a slow death, but was not aware of that at the time.

This may not apply to you, but thought I should mention it. My friend really hated to lose those trees.

Best wishes, David Meashey

Cliff Jennings said:

Timothy, you might consider getting 3 of these as an option, since they’re cheaper and might give better clearance.

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/concrete-cement-masonry/construction-concrete-blocks/12-x-12-x-24-clay-modular-flue/1796602/p-1444441456439.htm

They also have 8 x 12. Pretty sure those are all outside dimensions though, so probably subtract 2" for internals (?).

This site talks about 13 x 13, http://www.tlcsupply.com/chimneyaccessories.html

Cliff

Yes. I used chimney flue liners exactly like these for my tunnel. Mine were 9"+ high inside - you’d have to call the store or go and take a tape with you! I kept the tunnel straight, and laid a 6’ length of track on a board that was at least 8’ and fit through the tunnel (no joints in the tunnel.) Thin strips of wood kept the track in the center of the plank. I didn’t use any other attachment for the track. I had a small brush on a handle that would fit and I pushed it through before running trains to get the leaves and critters out.

I have a couple tunnels lined with the 12" corrugated pvc pipe that have been in for 16 years with no problems. I would suggest drilling some drain holes in the bottom and setting it on some fine gravel. I got my pipe from a landscaping/garden supply. I used a piece of composite decking for the roadbed. Attach the track to it and slide it into place. Rail clamps on the ends just in case it needs to be removed. Stay away from curved tunnels.

Ted Brito said:

There is a black plastic corrugated pipe available in different diameters that you can get from plumbing supply houses. My brother uses a lot of the 18” for putting risers on septic tanks. Really rugged stuff that won’t rot or collapse under weight.

Exactly what I used. Supports me standing on top with only a few inches of earth cover. Set it a few inches below grade and used a used a piece of pressure treated 1x4 as roadbed inside.

Timothy Boswell said:

Welcome Timothy

Tim, I would suggest using a smooth wall pipe in lieu of what Jon used for the length you are referring to. Corrugated will tend to catch on locos and rollings stock if you need to pull a derailment out of the tunnel. I would also suggest something on the order or 14 or 14 inch, depending on the equipment you are planning on. You will loose some of the inside height with the gravel/sub road bed to put the track on.

Sources could be local building supply (Home Depot, Lowes, Manards), as suggested a landscape supply, or a piping supply house such as Ferguson. Another source, depending on infrastructure improvement in your local area would be drops from the installation of water/sewer lines. Sometimes the contractors will let you have a drop piece from construction.

Welcome aboard.

I’ll second the smooth wall and I’ll add an access hatch in the middle.

I dislike reaching into a hole, I share my land with a rattlesnake. The hatch was used more often than not.

That 20’ long black corrugated pipe offered at tractor supply is corrugated on the outside but smooth on the inside for better water flow. Read the description and you’ll see that It says that. Its perfect for tunnels and it’s what I’ll be using.