Large Scale Central

Worlds fastest large scale locomotive?

Ivan “spacer” Miranda 3d printed a loco built for speed.

I would call that an amusement park ride. Cool , I think he would have been better off using G scale track, it might have been smoother and better rolling resistance. I didn’t listen to what he was saying , so if he mentioned that I apologize

lol, should have used a Steinz motor block. I swear mine takes off like a carrier jet.

There’s a video somewhere of the speed record at Jim’s track with a live steam GS4 and train. Just as fast as that un-scale device.

Anyone try the MARS Flyer for speed? They are the fastest production model on G track I have seen.

Pete Thornton said:

There’s a video somewhere of the speed record at Jim’s track with a live steam GS4 and train. Just as fast as that un-scale device.

Live steam vs NASCAR

that video said 57 seconds for 560 approximate feet of track, I dont know what the maths would be to convert to MPH or KPH to see exactly who was faster. but the steamer was a better representation of a train.

Pete Lassen said:

that video said 57 seconds for 560 approximate feet of track, I dont know what the maths would be to convert to MPH or KPH to see exactly who was faster. but the steamer was a better representation of a train.

Yeah, If my math is correct that comes out to 9.82 fps or 6.7mph which is quite a bit slower than Ivan’s “experiment” (13.98mph). As you pointed out, It is not currently a very good representation of a train but I’ve been following his projects for awhile now and an earlier video, Ivan did mentioned making it look more “trainy”

-Dan

This was built from a 1 liter seltzer bottle, 2 axles of ball bearing wheels with electrical pickup, a clear Easter egg tree ornament, a ducted fan drive (electric model airplane jet engine), and various other items. The motor is rated at 9.9 volts maximum. I have never had enough straight track to get much over 7 volts.

It is a lot of fun to run, but one must remember that its polarity is opposite the normal large scale polarity. It was running at low voltage when I took the photo, but my camera froze the motion of the blade. Todd Brody has built a similar jet car that makes mine look puny. Not sure how fast his has gone.

Have fun, David Meashey

P.S. Here it is on the Big Green layout at ECLSTS (York) many years ago.

Mine was made from a blue gear oil bottle using the “finger-hold” for an arch that makes it look like the Nautlus/Batmobile. The threaded area for the “cap” was removed for airflow through the body. The body is a white plastic mailing tube. The chassis is a “3-axle truck” from an AristoCraft heavyweight for power pick-up. It is powered by a 30 volt, 4.5 amp “hand tool” motor swinging a 3-bladed, airplane propeller cut down to 6". If I could give it full voltage/current, it could probably take your finger off.