Large Scale Central

Resin Printing

I’m interested in hearing of anyone’s experience with liquid resin printing of large items such as rolling stock of engines sides.

Doc

Don Watson said:

I’m interested in hearing of anyone’s experience with liquid resin printing of large items such as rolling stock of engines sides.

Doc

I’d like to hear about the “mess” (if any) the odor (if any) and the shelf life of the resin itself.

I have printed a lot of large stuff in resin. works great. I am presently printing one of the fine 20 ft tank container shared here on the forum. Shelf life, my son who has been at this much longer has resin 3 years old still works just fine. The mess is more than pla printing for sure but the results more than make up for it. Oder varies by manufacturer of the resin. The type I use the oder is not worth mentioning. A printer large enough to do like the container car are more spendy than the entry level ones (which by the way print great).

Don Watson said:

Don, I have tested printing the wide cab i designed and a high nose for an SD. Printing the sides of the long hoods and rolling stock would be cost prohibitive IMHO. This has been discussed here before. Better to use sheet polystyrene and add resin doors, latches etc.

Bruce Chandler said:

I’d like to hear about the “mess” (if any) the odor (if any) and the shelf life of the resin itself.

The resins I primarily use are from Siraya-Tech and are low odor. My family usually complains of the “doctor’s office” smell from washing the parts in the kitchen sink with IPA. I’ve left resin in the vat for weeks and printed fine. I usually give it a bit of a stir when it’s been that long though. Not sure what the shelf life is in the container as I use it pretty quickly!

Mike,

How large is your printer?

I use 2 anycubic photons (the original) and for the large one an Epax X10. And like Dan I use Siraya-Tech resin.

Mike Williams said:

I have printed a lot of large stuff in resin. works great. I am presently printing one of the fine 20 ft tank container shared here on the forum.

Mike, Assuming you mean my Tank container (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)I’m modifying the ends to facilitate easier printing in resin and providing an option to use styrene square tube for the side bars and PVC pipe or a can.

Quick test print

Mike or Dan. So with an Epax X10 the vertical print area is about 10”. Would there be a minimum thickness you would recommend for printing a vertical car side that is almost 10”?

very nice Dan. I will be very interested. I scaled mine up 10% to work on my LGB RhB flat cars. Very nice of you to share. Thanks.

Dan are you going to make the merged file for the ends available?

Mike

Don Watson said:

Mike or Dan. So with an Epax X10 the vertical print area is about 10”. Would there be a minimum thickness you would recommend for printing a vertical car side that is almost 10”?

I’ve been matching thickness of the USAT locos which is about 4.5mm but I’ve been designing for FDM. The jury is still out regarding resin and outdoors. Up until recently the available resins have not been formulated for finished parts. Siraya Tech BLU was one of the first to claim to be good for finished parts but there has not been any real world testing done to support that. That is what I’ve been doing.

-Dan

Mike Williams said:

Dan are you going to make the merged file for the ends available?

Yes. And I’m looking at other tank and frame variations as well. Also, don’t know if you saw my FB post but I noticed the can my chainsaw fuel comes in is near perfect size!

-Dan

I found for my usage of 110% to fit my RhB equipment a plastruc 4 inch tube is the perfect size. Just finished a prototype this morning and it will work perfectly for me. (need to order more tubing) I’d like to make about 4 of them for my RR but I will waite for the merged ends.

Thanks for all your work Dan.

Don,

I use a form 2 this is one of the larger 1:20.3 pieces I have made.

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_2560/Marker%20Lamps/DSC_4853w.jpg)

Al p.