Large Scale Central

layout photo-part two

After posting the following photo under “layout photo” I caught some flak for the GP40 being too clean. It now has a little weathering.

I have also added some photos of a just completed Santa Fe Ce-8 extended vision caboose to go with the GP40. This is a USA caboose with enough changes to at least make it look like a Ce-8. It does have a rather unique look to it with no end ladders but ladders on both sides. Anyone know why they did this? The leaf springs are 3D printed.

I’d like to know about the ladders, being a Santa Fe buff.

Greg

I think that is a fantastic pic and who cares what the armchair modelers think! I think that unit needs (can become) a CF-7 after the SD-9 is completed! It will give you extra parts with kitbash !

Beautiful work, hard to recognize it not being prototype size.

Greg,

There has to be a Santa Fe fan out there that knows the reason for the side ladders. I just thought it was unique and that is partly why I did the caboose.

Greg,

Having examined many Santa Fe and other books, I have yet to discover a stated rationale for the caboose side ladders, but examining many photos of the International Car Company caboose, it appears for those that retained ladders, Santa Fe used the vertical array of side grab irons near the cupola in place of the ladders typically prevalent at both ends of the caboose. The cupola also includes a hand bar near its top that traverses from one side to the other, so once someone has climbed up to the top, the bar can be held on to. To speculate, perhaps Santa Fe did this in the interest of both safety and simplicity.

-Ted

Ted,

I did add that cupola hand bar to mine. Some other modifications to the stock USA caboose. Removed roofwalks, relocated the smoke stack, covered three windows and downsized and repositioned the toolbox, repainted roof from black to SF red and of course the leaf springs. I also added a second red warning light. The battery compartment for the 9v battery was modified so the battery can be accessed from the undercarriage. I also installed a spdt center off toggle to operate either one of the lights. The end railings could use some work but I think I have gone as far as I want with it.

Not in the order of importance, but I like the realistic SP flat car with stakes carrying the Boise Cascade load. Got the wood deck and the palletizing looks good. Feels right at home in the PNW where they still make wood and paper products.

Michael,

The bulkhead is Northern Pacific. They are LGB 50’ bulkhead repaints. I did five of them, four with full loads. There may be some photos someplace. I made the loads for two of them. The load covers are self stick vinyl that I ordered from G Scale Graphics. Two per 8.5 x 11 sheet. He made them up custom for me. They look a whole lot better then the USA version that are on two of the cars. The decals were done by Stan Cedarleaf.

Found one photo. USA loads that I’m not found of.

Great pictures all!

I’m guessing the middle ladders discouraged crewmen from climbing up while the train was in motion. Their use would be Blue Flagged according to the rule book.

Very realistic railroad and equipment Paul , great job ! Love the pictures , show more !

I have seen ladders placed so the windows could be cleaned from the outside, is the ladder on the other side placed so the “other” windows?

Greg

Paul, what Kadee body-mounts are you using for the rolling stock and locomotives?

Michael Kirrene said:

Paul, what Kadee body-mounts are you using for the rolling stock and locomotives?

They look like the standard #830’s on the rolling stock

Michael

I use #1 scale 1789’s on most everything, rolling stock and locomotives. Followed by 820’s on occasion. With the 1789’s a 1/16 shim is usually about right on freight cars. On locomotives I just do whatever I need to make them fit. They are all set using the Kadee #1 height gauge, no exception. I have used some of the newer style couplers but they don’t lend very well to sticking a screw driver in between the knuckles for uncoupling. During op sessions we do lots of switching so being able to uncouple is important. I do not use any of the large offsets at all.