Large Scale Central

Shopping for new 2.4GHz Transmitter

I am pretty firmly entrenched in Del Taparo’s now discontinued Rail Boss “Hobby” system that uses a 2-stick 2.4GHz transmitter and receivers. To control it I purchased a Spektrum DX5e Transmitter years ago which I have kept alive with various repairs. At this point it is sending lots of false signals due to dirty or worn out potentiometers.

IF they still made the DX5e I would just replace it, but that has been discontinued and replaced by the DX6e for about twice the price. Before I buy yet another low-end transmitter I think it’s a good idea to look at my options. There are several other brands of low-end 2-stick radios that I have never heard of, including FlySky. I would also consider a system with knobs. Tony Walsham makes a few that I believe are compatible with the Rail Boss system. There is also a component source that Tony has mentioned numerous times that I just can’t pull out of my memory banks for DIY.

One option I should seriously consider is to bash the DX5e, replacing this sticks (and their associated worn pots) with knobs and buttons. I had put this idea together a number of years ago and even drew up a block diagram. I wonder if I can find that!

No matter what I decide, I need to do it now to be ready for Kens meet in April. I need a minimum of 5 channels. I need to look closely at how I am using all 6 channels for Rail Boss to see what I really need if I use buttons rather than pots for all except throttle.

There’s about 4 of them on ebay, some pretty cheap, why not go the path of least resistance?

I have a DX5e that has hardly been used, and I don’t need it. I’ll send you a message.

Worse comes to worse Jon, I have plenty of locos you could use.

Just got my Aristo railbus converted over to RC.

Thanks Pete - I replied to your message. That is a perfect solution! Once I have yours I can gut mine to try and build a non-stick transmitter using the boards and antennae.

Ken Brunt said:

Thanks Ken. Not having a loco wouldn’t deter me from coming, but it’s lots of fun to run your own stuff on other people’s roads. Pete has my answer with time to spare!

Greg Elmassian said:

There’s about 4 of them on ebay, some pretty cheap, why not go the path of least resistance?

Thanks. I didn’t go look because of Pete’s offer, but I wouldn’t buy a used one unless I knew the source. These things have lots of known issues - one being an intermittent power switch that causes all kinds of squirrely operation! Once I found that problem I wired in a new power switch. It worked great until the Elevator./Aileron stick started sending false position changes. At minimum this causes the horn/whistle to sound when not wanted. At worst it keeps the receiver from hearing the throttle input. That can be unnerving when driving an expensive loco on elevated track! I’m not certain, but I believe this is from dirt and/or moisture getting into the pot.

Jon Radder said:

Ken Brunt said:

Thanks Ken. Not having a loco wouldn’t deter me from coming, but it’s lots of fun to run your own stuff on other people’s roads. Pete has my answer with time to spare!

Needing 5-6 channels…egads, does this include hot and cold running water, and a toilet flush…!!!
Fred Mills

Fred Mills. said:

Needing 5-6 channels…egads, does this include hot and cold running water, and a toilet flush…!!!
Fred Mills

Almost! Mostly sound triggers (just to annoy you if I ever gt back to Ottawa). Because you asked (letters following number are all on same stick):

CH 1 Throttle

CH 2A Bell Toogle or Program (loco dependent)

CH 2B Crossing Horn or Whistle

CH 2C Break Squeal

CH 2D Manual Horn or Whistle

CH 3 Direction

CH 4A Class Lights (or Momentum OFF - some locos)

CH 4B Steam Release (or Momentum ON - some locos)

CH 5 Loco Select (one radio will simultaneously control 2 locos)

CH 6 Not presently used. The DX5e is actually a 6 channel board, Ch 6 not being connected to any controls (yet).

What is really challenging me right now is figuring out simple circuits to replace potentiometers with switches. My electronic design skills have suffered from lack of use. The few that have only 3 positions to simulate are not so bad; but that Channel 2 with 4 different position values, plus a center stick value has got me stumped at the moment. Trying to do this with passive components but I might be forced to add some logic.

I’m glad you know what you’re talking about, cause I sure don’t…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

The few that have only 3 positions to simulate are not so bad; but that Channel 2 with 4 different position values, plus a center stick value has got me stumped at the moment.

Might I respectfully suggest an RCS TX-5. 2 knobs (ch1, ch3) and 5 triggers.

Pete Thornton said:

The few that have only 3 positions to simulate are not so bad; but that Channel 2 with 4 different position values, plus a center stick value has got me stumped at the moment.

Might I respectfully suggest an RCS TX-5. 2 knobs (ch1, ch3) and 5 triggers.

Thanks Pete. I worked up a scheme using a relay that might work for CH 2. I’m used to the big 2 stick so it’s OK. The knob / button mod is mostly to see if I can.

You guys need DCC, sounds like a lot of trouble trying to make an airplane controller do train functions.

Greg

Now now Greg. Your proclivities are starting to show.

No problem using Digital Proportional control to work with trains.

I do a whole range nowadays and DP remains the only system that can be used by both Live Steam and battery R/C.

There are users that like the bulky stick radios and others that do not. Those that prefer a small hand held unit buy mine or Micron’s or Deltang’s equipment.

That Du-TX7 Pete showed above has two fully proportional channels for Low OFF control and 5 x sound trigger functions.

I suppose for those who choose to sit in an easy chair, with a table handy for liquid refreshments, and cancer sticks; a bulky box with “joy Sticks”, and a great variety of buttons and gauges; the somewhat awkward looking “Boxes” may be fine and dandy…I’m glad someone is building them for you…truly.

However; for those that get their small bit of pleasure out of operating their locomotives, in switching moves, and full railroad operations; all those so-called features are like tying a dozen fishing lures to a single line, and dropping them to the bottom of the lake. Most fish will ignore them.

The most important function of a throttle, and receiver, is to provide dependable action of the locomotive, when the operator calls for it. The bells, whistles, noises of all kinds, flashing lights, toilets flushing, hot and cold water, along with screams of trespassers being run over by the train, soon become a true pain in the head, and relatively costly one when everything is added up.

Get yourself invited to a true operating railroad, to experience what I’m trying to describe. I enjoyed a pleasant morning OPERATING a great model of RGS Ridgeway yard, on an Sn3 railroad yesterday. With locomotive #458. It is equipped with all the gadgetry along with even more than I’m aware of. The first thing I do, is hit button 8 on the throttle, to turn everything OFF, or I’d go nuts with the noise, and flashing lights. The “Name of the game” was to make up a few 12-18 car trains, ready for departure, while receiving a like number on the arrival tracks; and several passenger trains that required turning and readying for departure…a lot of action…a great many moves…

Yes it was a DCC system; but for Greg, and Tony…I care not whether it is DCC or RC/battery…all that is really required is a good dependable, inexpensive, simple throttle/receiver that responds to the needs of the operator…the rest is only “Needed” by the armchair gang.

Be aware that there is a rather large audience out here that is not over-burdened with financial wealth, who would just like to experience operating their simple locomotives, at a price and availability they can afford, some would hope that they might be freed from rail cleaning, and electrical/electronic mazes, involving even more wizardry, and costly investments for return loop, and other mysteries…

On my own “Outdoor railroad”, I’ve found that the old original Aristo on-board Train Engineer, still provide that simple control I need, and the newer Crest system is working well for most the gang, around here. I observe that some who visit Ottawa, seem to follow this trend.

There, I’ve said my bit…with NO insults, no politics, directed at anyone…

Fred Mills

Well, Fred, you fell for it…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

What did I trip on, to cause my fall ? I was just trying to explain another view of the “Control Market”, and what some seem to enjoy, not often, explained by the louder voices, we see here.

To avoid any explosive debate; I’ll go to my corner and avoid making any further unwanted comment.

Fred Mills

Your comments are always welcome. Although I enjoy the sound and lighting effects, even during an operating session, I rarely use all the supported functions. It’s just fun to hook it all up and play with.

Fred,Padre,Friar,Father,Fredrick Mills,Official Taster Of

I truly love and appreciate the operation end of the HOBBY we all share. I like to OPERATE myself and was wondering what type of operations are you performing these days? I just finished another operation this weekend myself however it has not been awakened by the noise which model trains can create.