Large Scale Central

NNorth East Florida Live Steamers & Railroaders

trailer

earl track side

Spent the morning at the Florida Agriculture Museum in Palm Coast Florida along with friend and fellow G scaler Earl Sault touring the layout site which is in the process of being relocated. Had the very nice pleasure of meeting LSC member Joe Zullo along with many other members of the N E F L S & R. The site will be approximately 8000 feet of track in a sugar pine forest and will also sport a raised G scale layout. They already have an operational loop and switches everywhere. When entering the area you drive by a lot of old Florida buildings some finished and some still under reconstruction along with numerous old farming instruments., think I saw the model for my “cracker” house on the way out. They are looking for member and helper, meeting weather permitting on every Saturday. They still have a lot to do but after seeing all the switches already laid out it is going to be a great lay out. You and see there layout and contact them at www.northeastfloridarailroad.com , so when you get a chance check the out or better still go by on a Saturday morning, it is quite a experience seeing real rail being laid.

laying track

earl at the siterealized i

Hey Bill, great to hear a report that they are up and going, again. We had Car Card/Waybill Ops today at the Ridge Live Steamers. Please let me know when you guys get down this way.

I’ll keep it in mind, I’m not a member yet but being as the also have a G scale layout in the works I might, just like trains especially ride on, funny when Earl and I got there several people were putting together a metal storage shed and a after introducing our self’s a voice from inside the shed said Bill what’s your last name and I said Barnwell and the reply was “I know you” it was Joe Zullo and he claims I named by little bashed industrial steam engine after him, was a fun experience.

Bill Barnwell said:

I’ll keep it in mind, I’m not a member yet but being as the also have a G scale layout in the works I might, just like trains especially ride on, funny when Earl and I got there several people were putting together a metal storage shed and a after introducing our self’s a voice from inside the shed said Bill what’s your last name and I said Barnwell and the reply was “I know you” it was Joe Zullo and he claims I named by little bashed industrial steam engine after him, was a fun experience.

Here is the NEFLSRI club G gauge railroad under construction… Click Here

Wow, looks solid, apparently 2x6 with heavy plywood top. Seal the edges of that plywood or it will definitely delaminate!

How many tracks are envisioned 3? 4? plenty wide.

Greg

Greg,

The tops are cement board. Various dimensions of lumber are being used. We are planning a three track main line suitable for 7/8, and all G gauge scales. Eventually we will be available for members and guests to run battery powered, track powered and live steam powered locos. A steam up area and freight yard are planned.

1 Like

great stuff, that board looks 3/4"

Greg Elmassian said:

great stuff, that board looks 3/4"

Pictures can be deceiving. The cement board is 15/32 thick. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)The frame work of the narrow sections is 3 feet wide, and the framework is 1x4 lumber. The 4 big benches are 4x8 foot and built with 2x6 lumber. All exposed wood will be painted.

Ahh, so I was looking at the big frame with the guy with the straw hat:

https://www.northeastfloridarailroad.com/g-gauge-construction?pgid=jxg0qx5e-0f178a79-2153-43ad-99b0-09d498b314e3

indeed 2 x 6, since the posts are 4x4.

Nice and solid, and I have had untreated hardi-backer 1/2" waterproof board outside, unpainted for years and looks like new.

Greg

Sad news just keeps piling up for the NEFLS club. Since this posting 4 years ago several members have passed on. We had four of us G gaugers, now there is only me left.
Now for the really bad news, The Florida Agricultural Museum has not renewed our 5 year agreement and demands we vacate the property. We were not even finished building yet! Our formal agreement with them ended on Feb 15 2024. They granted us until August 2024 to be gone. Public run days are no more.G gauge layout is to be dismantled in a module configuration and reassembled at a new location when one is found. So far we have not found a new location. I am really disheartened. :cry:

Ouch! I am sorry both for the loss of your colleagues and the loss of this venue. Hopefully, a new location will soon be available.

Eric