Large Scale Central

the chimney

I think the challenge should have been can you put the chimney together, LOL, what fun, Bill

Wrong thread?

Bill, I think I’ll make a wooden core to size and fit the kit to that. Seems easiest to me anyway. I would never get all the 45 degree seams to go together correctly I’m sure.

Whoa there, seems and seams, gotta watch it!

Maybe that’s what the challenge really is, see if you can get the chimney together…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

have to build a base for my chimney beings as it is neither 1/2" or 1" scale brick and the plastic panels I have the pattern doesn’t match, any suggestions, I have seen a lot of building with foam but not sure what type to get and where to buy small pieces, any help would be appreciated, Bill

Bill Barnwell said:

have to build a base for my chimney beings as it is neither 1/2" or 1" scale brick and the plastic panels I have the pattern doesn’t match, any suggestions, I have seen a lot of building with foam but not sure what type to get and where to buy small pieces, any help would be appreciated, Bill

Bill, I think I understand your dilemma. I have the same issue, where my brick on hand doesn’t match Dave’s. Here’s my solution: the inspectors of Summit County, where my yard rests at over 10,500 ft above sea level, have insisted on fire-rated brick for the chimney. In the words of the fat man, otherwise known in these parts as Mr. Four-by-Four, “No fire-rated brick, no C.O.” Now, the only fire-rated brick I could find on hand is from Taylor Brickworks out of New Mexico and is slightly larger than the ordinary brick for the rest of the structure. It’s a slightly different color also.

Anyway, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Besides, I’m not about to pick a fight with the fire marshall of Summit County.

I hope this helps.

edit: I forgot to mention, as the brick extends down the outside of the tower, I’ll score wood to match the fire-rated bricks.

Bill Barnwell said:

Bill,

You should be able to get the 1" pink or blue extruded foam, don’t use beadboard, at Home Depot, etc. in a 2’ x 2’ sheet.

Be sure to use a foam compatible glue if it needs gluing. I lay out the brick pattern in pencil then score the lines with a cool soldering iron with a knife blade tip that I made.

Build a shoulder into the tip so it can run along a metal ruler, this will limit the depth of the melt. Pretty easy once you do it for a few minutes.

While we are on the subject; Which glue works best on these resin castings??

Rick Marty said:

CA aka superglue works the best with resin.

Craig Townsend said:

Rick Marty said:

Thanks, saved me from asking the same question! My E6000 bond was unsatisfactory.

• Eric

Eric Mueller said:

Craig Townsend said:

Rick Marty said:

Thanks, saved me from asking the same question! My E6000 bond was unsatisfactory.

• Eric

Here is another tip Eric, store your superglue in the fridge or freezer. It will last for ever. I had a bottle going on ten years before I left it out,of the fridge for a couple days then it instantly hardened up.

Another question: What bonds wood to glass?

For my windows, I’m using actual thin glass to bond my “windows” to, which are sticks of soft pine, some as thin as 1/8".

Thanks.

Super glue, Thick

E6000, ( i believe it’s the same as Goop )

Clear Silicon, But glass bond isn’t the greatest.

If you can, and there is room on the inside of the building, cut your glass bigger than the opening, (1/4") all the way round.

Use thin (1/16 x 3/8) wooden strips, glued to the glass and the inside wall.

Link to the Chimney Kit Instructions.: http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/30144/mik-s-chimney-kit

@BILL, John, Eric and everyone else… Read the instructions, Pay especially attention to the cleaning…

Resin castings, by there very nature of the process, leave an oily film on the surface, and is slick. Scuff the edges to be bonded with sandpaper to give tooth to the glue.

Dave

1/4" x 1/4" basswood in each corner

Instructions? We don’t need no stinkin’ instructions!

Dave Taylor said:

Link to the Chimney Kit Instructions.: http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/30144/mik-s-chimney-kit

If the instructions are followed correctly via the link posted then one must deduct the cost of the rubber bands purchased for the challenge!

Just saying to be fair ?

Are we talking about a wood core with styrene bricks wrapped around it? I have made chimney’s out of wood and wrapping plastic brick around a wood core. I have found Duco Cement works very well in holding styrene to wood. What works best is to make the wood core match a joint on the brick pattern. You can V cut the back of the brick so it will wrap around the wood corner. Bondo works well to fill in brick gaps. Apply just enough to fill in the gap. Bondo does no sand that easily.

Rooster ’ said:

Dave Taylor said:

If the instructions are followed correctly via the link posted then one must deduct the cost of the rubber bands purchased for the challenge!

Just saying to be fair ?

Naw, rubber bands are usually on hand already, or can be had for free if you keep your eyes open.