Large Scale Central

Some pics for Pete T

Here are some pics for Pete, he wanted to see the size comparison between an LGB engine, the Pearse switcher and a true 16mm narrow gauge model in the form of a Pearse W&L Earl. Also is a pic of my old Reno I used to have with a set of Kalamazoo shorty coaches coupled up. Enjoy!

Mike, thanks for the photos. I like the Reno - mine arrives tomorrow. Wonder if I can tone down some of the brass, like the valve chests?

I lightened one of the pics with Photoshop (attached) as the curved cooktop behind made it tough to see the rooflines! I’m still of the opinion that Pearse were aiming for 1:22.5-ish scale, as LGB were the dominant supplier 20 years ago. But whatever scale, it does look good.

The polished brass was part of the era that Reno comes from. Engines were assigned and the crew and engine wipers spent hours keeping it all polished up. I think the polished brass is what makes the Reno “POP” and look great. I agree on the Pearse. While the declared “scale” might have been 1:20.3, the engine like the Colorado, scales out nicely with LGB, Kalamazoo(as it was pullilng in my video) and USA rolling stock that would have been the normal stock on a USA garden railway of that era. Mike

Pete, 5 bucks at Hobby Lobby:

Black Onyx Patina For All Metal

Described as an ink that sticks to metal. Will be susceptible to scratches… but easier to remove than paint, if needed.

Thanks John - I need some of that. However, I think I can cover the valve chests with some thin brass that I paint glossy black. It’s got a whole lot of brass on it - too much around the cylinders for my taste.

My Reno just arrived from Peter Ks estate (thanks, Sam,) and has a beautiful patina from years of sitting around. The domes really look that color. The scrollwork betweeon the drivers is polished copper.

So I go in the laundry to see if I still have some Brasso, and what do I find:

That’s what makes it go - maybe I should see if I can fire an alcohol loco? Naw - convert it to butane is the plan. I found a perfect size burner for a Wilesco stationary engine to replace the wicks. Just need to figure out how big a gas tank will fit.

Anyone happen to know what radius the Reno needs? 1.2meters?

Mine that I had went around 10’ diameter curves just fine, but do not think she would like 8 foot very well at all. She also did the just a hair under 10’ on Jim Sanders portable layout ok. Mike