Large Scale Central

Bachmann 2-6-6-2 trucks

Were the 2-6-6-2 trucks robust like the later Shay diecast trucks or were they generally problematic like the early Shay plastic 6 screw trucks?

I rather think you might mean “The Motor Bricks”. You are referring to a rather different type of locomotive when you start asking questions of the Bachmann 2-6-6-2 as compared with the Shay.

I haven’t heard anyone commenting on problems with that part of the 2-6-6-2, but then, I’m no expert on either locomotive.

Fred Mills

Why do you ask ? Not seen anything mentioned on the usual forums. I have had one a few years and it has proved a good reliable runner, although I get a little bit of noise from the gears when running tail first. Front and rear gearbox assemblies , ex motor, are available from Bachmann. So that’s the wheels, motions, cylinders, and gear train. Not a motor “brick”, strictly speaking more akin to a truck in its fitment. Ask the Bachmann, to see if any issues reported there ?

The reason I asked is that I bought one used but never really ran. All seems ok for now, but every thing is getting boxed up for the next several years as we prepare to put house on the market to downsize and move which will entail a new build. So things will basically be boxed for 2-3 years. In the mean time, while parts are available, I want to buy what I can get at the Bachmann parts if known issues. I used the Shay as an example as I had one of the early ones with truck issues and later bought the replacement trucks. Then bought a used one with the old trucks but waited for ever to recently finally find the trucks back in stock. So I’ve learned that when stuff is discontinued, you have to get while the getting is available. And as our hobby continues to shrink, 3rd party solutions shrink too, like what happened with Aristo, Barry (age, illness) and what almost happened with NWSL.

The only issue I had with mine was the first power up when new, ran OK in one direction but when I reversed it the motor in the rear block popped right out of the frame, apparently neither of the mounting screws had been tightened at the factory. One of them ended up down in the gearbox and was a real pita to get back out. Once reassembled it was OK. It hasn’t seen much action since so I can’t comment on long term issues.

Likewise no real problems except trying to fit enough batteries into the side tanks, very tight and then finding that I had a dead cell and having to do it all again. Runs well now controlled by Revolution and radio.