Large Scale Central

Workspace all refurbished and ready to go!

Cleaned-up the workspace, installed a bank of new overhead lights (a concession to age! am I the only one who needs more light to work now?), laid a new surface on the workbench, and I’m all ready for some new projects, including this year’s Challenge! Yay! However, right now I’m facing that overwhelmed feeling; whenever I go out on the layout, I see so many unfinished areas and projects that I sometimes just don’t know what to do. One at a time I guess.

Man, that looks too pretty to mess up…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

am I the only one who needs more light to work now?

Not hardly. I got a spot light over mine.

Ken Brunt said:

Man, that looks too pretty to mess up…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

am I the only one who needs more light to work now?

Not hardly. I got a spot light over mine.

nope, I’m looking at full spectrum desk lamps at the moment.

John Passaro said:

whenever I go out on the layout, I see so many unfinished areas and projects that I sometimes just don’t know what to do. One at a time I guess.

About a hundred years ago, when I was managing Radio Shack stores, I was given the challenge of turning around a store that had become a dump. For one person, the task of organizing the showroom, seemed overwhelming. A district manager gave me some great advice: ‘Concentrate on 4 feet at a time’ (our shelf units were 4 footers). ‘Get that 4 feet looking fantastic, then move to the next.’ I use that advise to this day breaking down huge projects into manageable sub steps.

John Passaro said:

Cleaned-up the workspace, installed a bank of new overhead lights (a concession to age! am I the only one who needs more light to work now?)… However, right now I’m facing that overwhelmed feeling; whenever I go out on the layout, I see so many unfinished areas and projects that I sometimes just don’t know what to do. One at a time I guess.

Pretty nice work area, very inviting place to do your projects.

No…you are not alone with the eyesight issues :). I just turned 76 and with sight in only one eye, it can get frustrating at times. I just use the brightest I can get hold of and dig right in. I DID go to a larger scale (1/8th @ 1-1/2 inch per foot :slight_smile: though). That helps a lot. As far as being overwhelmed with projects to finish, just pick one little one and go forward. Don’t be distracted by the “other projects” around. I’m building two 1/8th scale locomotives now and restoring a third. Each one has its “own” set of little projects…I just make sure to finish each one. You would be surprised how much can get done.

John:

As they say “I hear ya brother”!

I added one of these to my workbench with the coolest-white led that I could find, I think it’s about 6500 Kelvin. I also have a traditional clamp light that I use for “directional” lighting that also uses the highest Kelvin led that I could find. My workbench is under a vaulted ceiling so I didn’t have a place to reasonably attach regular lighting fixtures.

This getting old sucks, but considering the alternative, this is a minor annoyance.

Sterling advice gents; same advice I give and follow in almost every area…except trains for some reason!!! Maybe because it’s a hobby and nothing but my own personal satisfaction is riding on it.

However! I’ve decided to finish the Mining District once and for all, come hell or high water, or, around here right now, ice.

dMuch too clean…!!!

Every time I attempt to clean up my work station; it takes me a week to find everything again…how neat it looks, isn’t always a bonus; finding tools is the most important thing, and where you last put them down, is usually where you most easily find them…!!

YES,GREAT, not just good, lighting is very much desirable, especially as you grow older !!

A test track, very much at half an arm’s length, and at seated, eye level is most useful, when maintain rolling stock. Especially when checking coupler height. It doesn’t have to be electrified, but that can be an option.

A secretary style chair, on casters is also great for moving about, without having to sit and stand constantly.

Fred Mills

John Passaro said:

Sterling advice gents; same advice I give and follow in almost every area…except trains for some reason!!! Maybe because it’s a hobby and nothing but my own personal satisfaction is riding on it.

However! I’ve decided to finish the Mining District once and for all, come hell or high water, or, around here right now, ice.

Alright!!! I’ve got it in writing!(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

John Caughey said:

John Passaro said:

Alright!!! I’ve got it in writing!(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

I thought of that too late, and now that you’ve quoted it in your reply I can’t delete it.

Uh oh.

Jon Radder said:

About a hundred years ago, when I was managing Radio Shack stores, I was given the challenge of turning around a store that had become a dump. For one person, the task of organizing the showroom, seemed overwhelming. A district manager gave me some great advice: ‘Concentrate on 4 feet at a time’ (our shelf units were 4 footers). ‘Get that 4 feet looking fantastic, then move to the next.’ I use that advise to this day breaking down huge projects into manageable sub steps.

Great story. Love it.

Welllllllllll when you finish this years challenge, it just mightn’t be so tidy…

Just saying…

I have a few sections of the cheep Bachmann track, easy to snap together to make a test track, to check coupler height with the KaDee height gauge, see how well a car rolls, or how well 2 cars couple together. But it also doesn’t take up any workspace space when I don’t need a test track.