Large Scale Central

How to replace the motor in the LGB 2036 Trolley?

Can someone please point me to directions on how to replace the motor in the LGB 2036 Trolley?

LGB 2036 Trolley

manual in German, but shows how it comes apart: https://www.trainli.com/USER-GUIDE-PDF/New%20LGB%20Engines/lgb-2036-user-guide.pdf

You need to remove the whole motor block from the body, then remove the top plate.

Motor is keyed, be sure you install it correctly or you will strip an axle gear. The alignment pin is on the power connection end of the motor.

Yeah, I found that same pdf but the diagram does not look like the motor assembly in my trolley.

hmm, maybe a newer model? The oldest blocks were split vertically like the pdf.

Newer stuff is got a bottom cover. Maybe a picture of the motor block?

Also, are you positive on the model number?

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

hmm, maybe a newer model? The oldest blocks were split vertically like the pdf.

Newer stuff is got a bottom cover. Maybe a picture of the motor block?

Also, are you positive on the model number?

Greg

Yes, the number on the bottom says 2036. And yes, it has a bottom cover.

After lifting the wheel axles out do I need to unscrew these screws to get at the motor?

I think you can put the bottom cover back on and just remove those 2 screws… did you catch the springs and brushes as you pulled the wheels out?

Greg

2 screws? There’s 6 screws there. The brushes stayed in place.

Sorry, I thought you meant the 2 center screws…

Dan will know for sure… paging Dan…

he 2 yellow circled screws will allow you to remove the motor block. Then remove the 2 screws on top of the motor block and take out the motor.

Observe the ends of the motor shaft for small metal balls, these are thrust bearings for the old motor blocks that did not have them.

Newer motors do not need these small balls and remove them or they can cause problems.

Dan Pierce said:

he 2 yellow circled screws will allow you to remove the motor block. Then remove the 2 screws on top of the motor block and take out the motor.

Observe the ends of the motor shaft for small metal balls, these are thrust bearings for the old motor blocks that did not have them.

Newer motors do not need these small balls and remove them or they can cause problems.

There are 6 screws circled. However, unfortunately this is pretty much greek to me. I took it to the local train shop, Eastside Trains in Kirkland, WA to have them put a new motor in.

Sounds like that was the best course for you. I think both Dan and I assumed the center one of the 3 screws, but if it was not that obvious then having someone else do it was most likely the best.

Greg