Large Scale Central

Cibola Lumber & Mining Closes Shop

From the Corporate office:

Effective November 1st the Cibola Lumber and Mining Company ceased operations. Lumber crews as well as all mine shifts have been terminated with final pay slips issued. Operation of the railroad continues on a limited basis as engine 34 and rotary CY make a fairwell tour at NMGR events. Track removal has begun with abandonment of the ROW expected by the end of the year.

Beginning sometime next spring, track will be laid at the new location approximately 10 miles south of Chama. The Cibola website will remain up with all content in tact. Documentation of future builds is in limbo as the availability and quality of internet access is questionable.

The director and CEO was last seen wandering the yards of the C & T Scenic RR. If you can find him you might get invited out to the house for BBQ and beer.

The sadness and loss of abandonment and tear down is only softened by the expectation of a new line coming to life sometime in the near future.

Good luck on your move and new home, some great country around Chama.

Well Boomer, I know its hard to see all the hard work just torn up, but think of all the lessons you’ve learned that you can put to good use on the new railroad. Remember, its not the end of the book, just on to the next chapter. I look forward to seeing the new RR come to life.

I had to rip up my HO layout when moving to my current house and am much happier with my new pike. I bet you will be too even though it will be a lot of work. I for one am looking forward to your builds. You can always drive to town to get internet access after all…

Sorry to hear of the abandonment, but looking forward to hearing about the new digs. I’m jealous!!! Although I don’t think I’d like to winter there. Maybe a bit further South?

I had to tear mine down twice…and I didn’t move anywhere.

It’s a bit unnerving and a bit intimidating, but it does give you a chance to fix the boo-boo’s.

Good luck with the move …and the new layout.

Jim Rowson said:

I had to rip up my HO layout when moving to my current house and am much happier with my new pike. I bet you will be too even though it will be a lot of work. I for one am looking forward to your builds. You can always drive to town to get internet access after all…

Yes, McDonald’s has free WiFi

Sorry DavidM. Chama does not have a MickyDs… But the Subway has internet.

Best of luck with the next line!

Gee, I thought every town had a McDonald’s. Every town except McDonald Pennsylvania that is.

Closest McCrapholes to me is 45 miles…which is too close.

i have read that there is no McDonald’s in Montpelier Vermont either David M.

I guess I’m the only person who did not know you are moving… from where to where might I ask?

Greg

From the OP and the OP;

"

Effective November 1st the Cibola Lumber and Mining Company ceased operations. Lumber crews as well as all mine shifts have been terminated with final pay slips issued. Operation of the railroad continues on a limited basis as engine 34 and rotary CY make a fairwell tour at NMGR events. Track removal has begun with abandonment of the ROW expected by the end of the year.

Beginning sometime next spring, track will be laid at the new location approximately 10 miles south of Chama. The Cibola website will remain up with all content in tact. Documentation of future builds is in limbo as the availability and quality of internet access is questionable."

Couple of places in Chama have internet. I do not know the quality. Its a 20 minute drive over there so I am not likely to make the trip more than once a week. Certainly not going to sit there for four hours to upload a video.

To answer Greg’s question I am moving from Edgewood NM to Rutheron NM just south of Chama.

house

house 2

house 3

Note the large deck suitable for BBQing.

I also note the large lower floor suitable for railroading(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Jon Radder said:

Sorry to hear of the abandonment, but looking forward to hearing about the new digs. I’m jealous!!! Although I don’t think I’d like to winter there. Maybe a bit further South?

I almost commented on the jealous part when you posted this. However now that Boomer spilled the beans with the pics …NOW I can say “I bet you are real jealous”

Boomer,

Looking forward to the new digs and the RR progress! I figure it will take at least a year or so before you are done pressing your bare ass against the glass so the neighbors with binoculars will stop spying on you. Once that is finished you may carry on with the RR an greenhouses!

I see a huge trestle in your future.

Thanks Boomer, saw you said 10 miles from Chama, but with the 3rd person “railroad story” was not sure it was for you or the story!

You could put some track on the deck railing, but derailments would be fatal! Will getting track on those slopes be possible?

Wow, the lake south of you is pretty darn big, I assume that is the lake in the distance?

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Thanks Boomer, saw you said 10 miles from Chama, but with the 3rd person “railroad story” was not sure it was for you or the story!

Greg,

Who is the 3rd person and what “railroad story” ?

I just read back as suggested and I’m not understanding?