Large Scale Central

OY! .... Not the Aussie Kind

OY! … Not the Aussie Kind

oh well, gone now

That was odd.

Plays for me. I herd they are planning to operate it again. Had it under steam not long ago.

Now it is there… strange… nice looking but the color of mud?

Greg

Maybe that is colour is so that it will contrast well with white snow. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Snow??, down under it may be for sand!!

Nice video, can someone tell me if the first 3 cars behind the tender have steel frames? Where the truss rods should be looks like its solid instead of open.

Thanks Chuck

I was not on that trip… ahaaa darnnnn…

1st, the boxcar red/brown is it’s historic color… it was painted MOW gray way latter in it’s life.

2nd. The first tunnel it went thru was Mud tunnel, and was the one where we had less then 2 inches of clearance when we pulled it thru in the summer, going the other direction.

3rd. Those three passenger cars behind the engine 463 K26, were made in house at the C&T from fish belly flat cars, they were known as flat top cars, as that was a whole lot easier to make then with celestry windows. When the C&T was formed, ALL NG passenger cars were still in use by the D&RGW on their still active Durango to Silverton trains. The C&T got only unwanted engines, and freight cars. Lots and lots of 3000 series box cars, and the leftover flats from the pipe trains into Farmington. Durango had very few freight cars, as they were running passenger only service, and the railroad gods would not let them abandon the passenger service.

At the start of C&T operations, they cut the upper side boards off 3000 series boxcars, put end pass thru doors. and installed plastic chairs to ride in… Crude but quite the authentic ridership experience. They were called “P-Boxes”, and were used until they could build some type of “real” passenger cars. Fast forward 45+ years… those flat top cars are now surplus, and were sold off. Two of them are going to the D&S for service out of Rockwood, and the other is going to the GTLoop, and were being moved to clear space in Antonito, but most important was to provide braking down from Cumbres pass on the 4% grade. OY’s brakes by themselves are marginal at best. I do not know if they were worked on in Antonito during the overhaul or not. It seem to me that Chama would be a better place to do that with their machine shop and larger pit.

Not confirmed as of yet, But I just might be working on the OY excursion in Feb,

Dave

Cool!

I am so sorry to say that I was NOT on the crew, or the photo line for the OY adventure. About 150 folks payed $1200.00 each for the two day event. As a “Safety Issue” the NMDOT, and CDOT, closed the road to traffic and Police enforced the closure. Thus there were NO unpaid Chasers getting any photos, and the state police did not want an “4014” fiasco in snow and icy roads up to a 10,215’ mountain pass, and a concern for the possiblity of avalanche down to the roadway down below windy point.

Overall the event was a success .

My name on the call sheet for the event was about 8 down from the last one called… Everyone that worked for the RR wanted to be in on this event. And volunteers from the “Friends” that worked on the OY rebuild got higher priority on the call board…

Dave

IF I had known about this well in advance AND I had hit for a few grand in the lottery; I would have been there. Been waiting for this day since I saw video of the last time OY was on the mountain! I’m assuming that Peter Lerro partially financed the rebuild of OY with the proceeds from the charter.

Jon…et al…

I do believe that Pete… Had nothing to do with the OY Charter… It was 100% handled by and thru the C&TS. I was partially involved early on in the planning for this event about a year ago. The OY adventure was planned as a kick off for the 50th anniversary year of the C&TS.

315 will have a couple of charters thru the summer for private chartered events. Along with the “2020 Opening Day” Activies. We will spend this summer back dated to when she was numbered as 425 in her early days on the D&RG.

425 will be one of the featured locos for the Victorian Iron Horse event in late August. 4 pre 1900 locos all running and double heading for a week. 1895 D&RG 425, 1883 4-6-0 D&RG 168, 1875 4-4-0 E&P Eureka, and the newly restored 1875 4-6-0 C&TF&L Glenbrook.

https://cumbrestoltec.com/50th/roundup-of-victorian-iron-horses/

Aha! I made an assumption based on a post I saw of moves in Chama the day before that were marked Peter Lerro Productions. Glad CT&SR got 100% of the proceeds.

Here are some still shots.

http://www.coloradonewmexicosteamtrain.org/FriendsForum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6994

I was curious about the Glenbrook and found this;

https://www.nevadamagazine.com/issue/may-june-2015/2384/