Forums General Other Hobbies
  • Topic: Making my EV sound like a GP9

    Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 28, 2019 6:36 PM EDT
      • Kittery, ME
         
      • Posts
        668
      • Thanks
        43
      • Thanked
        259

      Making my EV sound like a GP9

      I bought a Hyundai Kona EV (electric vehicle) back in February.  It came equipped with what Hyundai calls a virtual engine sound system (VESS).  It makes an cartoon spaceship sound at low speed to alert pedestrians.  It's pretty annoying, so I immediately unplugged it, but it gave me an idea.  I wanted to make the car sound like a locomotive instead.  I tapped into the appropriate CAN bus and spent a good deal of time mapping the various messages.  

       

      Eventually, I yanked the VESS to work out how to operate it on the bench.  Here's a little video of that effort:

       

      I figured the easiest way to generate the locomotive soundtrack would be to use an off-the-shelf sound module and build a CAN to DCC converter.  I chose the Phoenix P8 because of its single-ended logic level DCC input.

      I first tried using a basic Arduino to do the conversation, but it was nowhere near fast enough.  I moved to a Teensy 3.6, which has CAN built in, and it is plenty fast.

      Here's the setup.  It's just the Teensy, the P8, and a buck converter to power the Teensy.  The red and black wires are spliced into the CAN bus in the car.

       

       

      Today, I got everything into the car to test it out on the road, and it works really well.  Very smooth.

       

       

      Right now, the DCC speed packets are generated from the vehicle speed data.  However, I will experiment with using the actual power going to the motor instead, as this should correlate better with the load on the prime mover.  I can also tie the regenerative braking in the car to the dynamic brake sound.  I also plan to have manual triggers for the bell and horn.  And of course I can load any Phoenix file into it to experiment with other locomotives.

       

      The Teensy has a lot more horsepower than the P8, and I have an audio module for it.  Eventually, I'd like to have it generate the sound itself, but this was a good first step.

       

      This post was edited by Eric Reuter at November 13, 2019 2:09 AM EST
    • October 28, 2019 7:13 PM EDT
      • Port Orchard, Washington
         
      • Posts
        2,360
      • Thanks
        95
      • Thanked
        298

      That is awesome. Now just to get the airhorn programmed into the car horn.

    • October 28, 2019 7:30 PM EDT
      • Rooster Works "Area 69" ,
         
      • Posts
        14,276
      • Thanks
        2,285
      • Thanked
        1,373

      LMAO !!!  You really need a HOBBY Eric !!

    • October 28, 2019 7:34 PM EDT
      • West Glocester, Rhode Island
         
      • Posts
        497
      • Thanks
        122
      • Thanked
        192

      Really cool Eric!  I'd love to see folks reactions in a parking lot when you start er up!

      ____________________________________

      Thingiverse Icon Instagram Icon

    • October 28, 2019 7:54 PM EDT
      • Candlewood Valley, Connecticut
         
      • Posts
        13,285
      • Thanks
        1,072
      • Thanked
        725

      That's funny!  I used to play a diesel sound CD in my car. Of course it didn't match speed at all like your set up. Way cool!

      This post was edited by Jon Radder at October 28, 2019 8:04 PM EDT
      ____________________________________

      www.cvsry.com www.cvsry.com

    • October 28, 2019 8:16 PM EDT
      • Burke, Virginia
         
      • Posts
        7,355
      • Thanks
        196
      • Thanked
        780

      Pretty neat, but I would sure be tempted to program a steam sound in that Phoenix...maybe a Shay?

      ____________________________________

      Bruce

      http://jbrr.com/

       

    • October 28, 2019 9:17 PM EDT
      • Milpitas, California
         
      • Posts
        528
      • Thanks
        167
      • Thanked
        51

      That's great, Eric! Sounds just like a real GP9. Looking forward to hearing the Leslie or Nathan P5 Airhorn! Maybe hook up an external speaker now so everybody can hear you comin'! 

    • October 29, 2019 10:22 AM EDT
      • Easton , Massachusetts
         
      • Posts
        4,453
      • Thanks
        1,848
      • Thanked
        526

      That is classic.... You should mount real horns .. 

      ____________________________________

       My u-tube  My Vimeo

      The light in the tunnel might not be an engine , but a light in the caboose of my own train on my Roundy Round Rail Road !    My empire is complete...I think...

    • October 29, 2019 1:03 PM EDT
      • Peoria, NW of Phoenix, Arizona
         
      • Posts
        1,400
      • Thanks
        250
      • Thanked
        306

      I watch a car show and occasionally they do work on a new car , and they use a phrase that comes to mind here

      ”warranty successfully voided” !!!! Good job , hope some day to see it in person! 

      ____________________________________

       

      Butt Modeler #2

       

       

    • October 29, 2019 2:18 PM EDT
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        5,158
      • Thanks
        1,588
      • Thanked
        1,202

      Sean McGillicuddy said:

      That is classic.... You should mount real horns .. 

      But real horns would push that little thing backwards!

       

      Very Nice Eric.

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • October 29, 2019 4:11 PM EDT
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        11,003
      • Thanks
        119
      • Thanked
        870

      But, when you blast the air horns, people do get out of your way. I had air horns on my Mazda 323 back in the late 80's/early 90's. It saved me from a few accidents from people changing lanes without looking. One lady put her land yacht up onto the sidewalk when I blasted the air horns. Then she looked as I put putted by in my little Mazda....

      ____________________________________

      Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

      I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

      and King Butt Modeler

    • October 29, 2019 5:02 PM EDT
      • Kittery, ME
         
      • Posts
        668
      • Thanks
        43
      • Thanked
        259

      John Caughey said:
      Sean McGillicuddy said:

      That is classic.... You should mount real horns .. 

      But real horns would push that little thing backwards!

      It weighs around 4000 pounds with me in it, so I think I'd be ok.  Batteries are heavy!

    • October 29, 2019 5:19 PM EDT
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        5,158
      • Thanks
        1,588
      • Thanked
        1,202

      Eric Reuter said:
      John Caughey said:
      Sean McGillicuddy said:

      That is classic.... You should mount real horns .. 

      But real horns would push that little thing backwards!

      It weighs around 4000 pounds with me in it, so I think I'd be ok.  Batteries are heavy!

      Then Go for it! Slap these Leslie S-5T 's on it!

      Related image

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • October 29, 2019 5:58 PM EDT
      • Milpitas, California
         
      • Posts
        528
      • Thanks
        167
      • Thanked
        51

      David Maynard said:

      But, when you blast the air horns, people do get out of your way. I had air horns on my Mazda 323 back in the late 80's/early 90's. It saved me from a few accidents from people changing lanes without looking. One lady put her land yacht up onto the sidewalk when I blasted the air horns. Then she looked as I put putted by in my little Mazda....

       

       

      Yeah, the only thing you gotta worry about is giving somebody a heart attack. Those suckers are LOUD!

    • October 29, 2019 6:10 PM EDT
      • Candlewood Valley, Connecticut
         
      • Posts
        13,285
      • Thanks
        1,072
      • Thanked
        725

      John Caughey said:
      Eric Reuter said:
      John Caughey said:
      Sean McGillicuddy said:

      That is classic.... You should mount real horns .. 

      But real horns would push that little thing backwards!

      It weighs around 4000 pounds with me in it, so I think I'd be ok.  Batteries are heavy!

      Then Go for it! Slap these Leslie S-5T 's on it!

      Related image

       

      You would need a trailer to house the reserve tank needed to hold the air volume used for just one crossing signal    There are guys doing this with roof mounted tanks - seen it on Youtube. So loud they are actually dangerous when mounted in close proximity to humans!  Standing in front of a loco the majority of the sound pressure goes over your head.

      This post was edited by Jon Radder at October 29, 2019 6:12 PM EDT
      ____________________________________

      www.cvsry.com www.cvsry.com

    • October 29, 2019 7:25 PM EDT
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        11,003
      • Thanks
        119
      • Thanked
        870

      Michael Kirrene said:
      David Maynard said:

      But, when you blast the air horns, people do get out of your way. I had air horns on my Mazda 323 back in the late 80's/early 90's. It saved me from a few accidents from people changing lanes without looking. One lady put her land yacht up onto the sidewalk when I blasted the air horns. Then she looked as I put putted by in my little Mazda....

       

       

      Yeah, the only thing you gotta worry about is giving somebody a heart attack. Those suckers are LOUD!

      Yea, I was actually using 2 tractor trailer type air horns. But when my cheep 12 volt compressor went tango uniform, I removed them from the car. There were bolted to a support in the engine compartment, facing out through the radiator.

       

      As for heart attack, probably not. But, I only blow my horn to keep me from getting hurt from someone else's stupid driver tricks.

      ____________________________________

      Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

      I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

      and King Butt Modeler

    • October 30, 2019 8:17 AM EDT
      • Easton , Massachusetts
         
      • Posts
        4,453
      • Thanks
        1,848
      • Thanked
        526

      Just go with one like this ..   Truck horn

      All I'm suggesting is get something unexpected … they will already be wondering WTF ...

      An other exsample ... Simple Truck Horn   These come complete ..just mount under the hood down would be ok ..

       

      ____________________________________

       My u-tube  My Vimeo

      The light in the tunnel might not be an engine , but a light in the caboose of my own train on my Roundy Round Rail Road !    My empire is complete...I think...

    • October 30, 2019 4:08 PM EDT
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        11,003
      • Thanks
        119
      • Thanked
        870

      That's kind of what I had, but the cheep air compressor died after a few years.

      ____________________________________

      Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

      I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

      and King Butt Modeler

    • October 30, 2019 6:55 PM EDT
      • Curmudgeon at Large, Insurance Warrior
         
      • Posts
        2,119
      • Thanks
        72
      • Thanked
        220

      Not sure about all states, but I do know that some states, even possessing air horns with the decibel capability of a 5 chime is illegal.

      ____________________________________

      We don't stop playing with trains because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing with trains.....

       

    • October 30, 2019 9:13 PM EDT
      • Kittery, ME
         
      • Posts
        668
      • Thanks
        43
      • Thanked
        259

      Ok, everyone calm down.  The P8 has a horn sound.

Forums General Other Hobbies

    Icon Legend

  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google