Large Scale Central

The Boxcab Project

In a not-so-temporary fit of insanity, I agreed to Ric’s proposal of converting his 45 tonner locomotive into a boxcab (or it might even be a freight motor, depending on how one views these things).

Thus begins the never ending saga of TBP! (The Boxcab Project; a simple TLA*.)

Ric has a dream. It apparently can not be accurately described, but it looks something like this:

Although it could look like this as well:

But here’s where reality gets in the way.

We start with THIS Bachmann 45 tonner…

The electronics are ready to go

And for whatever reason, the electronics have to fit inside the finished product…

My plan is to used some 1/8" clear acrylic sheets for the body. This will provide the glazing for the windows that I will 3D print. I’ll attempt to use the existing doors and the grills, and the bell, but the roof detail will necessarily be manufactured from mostly brass rod and other pieces parts.

I will use this log to document any progress I make towards these goals and also as a place for Ric to provide input for what he would like (Yeah, Like I would really LISTEN to THAT )

*TLA - Three Letter Acronym (typically used to confuse people into thinking it’s something much more than it really is)

Bruce,

looks like an interesting project.

Al P.

Bruce, I have a bunch of those little boxcabs, so here’s pics to perhaps give you ideas. This first one is solid steel and came from the UK.

Same hoppers, same garden, different steel boxcab from the UK.

The green one is 2 LGB cabs back to back!

Looking forward to following this build. Internal combustion boxcabs and electric box motors are of interest.

Of course, it should look like this:

We start with THIS Bachmann 45 tonner…

Bruce - if ylou haven’t played with one of these before, then note the crap plungers between the trucks and the body/frame. The general recommendation is to hard-wire them. Let me know if you want me to post the disassembly and wiring instructions I got from Kevin.

Pete,

Great points.

I have a bit of experience with them. The last one I even got rid of the side rods. You are VERY correct about those plungers - What were they thinkin’?

I do detect a strong resemblance to CNJ 1000. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

You are VERY correct about those plungers - What were they thinkin’?

After fixing Jerry’s 45 tonner, we soldered wires on the front plungers on his Railtruck, and then attacked his Heisler. Fixed the rear but can’t figure out how to remove the front truck to deal with the other plungers. They are working for now, so fingers crossed.

And then there’s this…

Pete Thornton said:

Heh…that’s just the STANDARD gauge version… mine is rather narrow.,

Pete Thornton said:

Why ?

I thought box cabs had no rules as I was told ??

Ric has box cab issues and I’m upset he didn’t ask for my help !

Rooster ’ said:

Why ?

I bet that he just really didn’t want an AMTRAK boxcab…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

ouch…a triple post…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

Bruce Chandler said:

Pete Thornton said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Pete Thornton said:

This is the basic prototype I would like to see Bruce use for an example. Using the frame of the 45 tonner, we discussed leaving the side rods for a little action and the decking and railing along the front and back to provide a crew platform during yard moves. Like the B&O/Central of New Jersey ideas, but would like a little Illinois Terminal influence. So thinking a blandish dark green with black roof. Scale should be 1:20.3 and Cab to be removable for maintenance, with screws holding it to the deck. And then the center of roof as a plug or access panel, removable for turning on and off, plus charging and volume control. I really like the roof clutter of the radiators and plumbing for air tanks and such of these little work horses.

I can remember Bob and Bruce discussing and building Box Cabs, after they saw my cobbling together the LGB tender and coach as my first attempt. That was probably around 2003. Each year, starting at the ECLSTS at York and proceeding through the events and gatherings at the Ops, a new example would and improved skills would show up after build notes were documented on these pages. Got to keep Bruce’s “grey matter” active. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Rooster ’ said:

Pete Thornton said:

Why ?

Hmmmm? Rooster, I’ve got other ideas and even parts laying around. We should talk.

Drop me an email. (He did)

Ric Golding said:

Rooster ’ said:

Pete Thornton said:

Why ?

Hmmmm? Rooster, I’ve got other ideas and even parts laying around. We should talk.

Drop me an email. (He did)

Quit jacking up Bruce’s thread ! It’s his build now not yours ! Let the man work …

Betty Boop is dead man !

That is a pretty big power steering cooler on the roof!