Large Scale Central

Question about Minimum Voltage and Electronic Components

Aloha,

Because I cannot have enough projects, especially those involving defunct LGB battery powered m2075, I thought I’d start a new - hopefully easier - one. In essence, the IR controller, on crew’s LGB battery-operated m2075 no longer works. As the sound card failed much earlier, my plan is to rip the whole thing out and replace it with a DPDT switch and manual speed controller. Most, like the one here (https://www.mpja.com/DC-Motor-Control-with-Reversing-Switch/productinfo/32678+MD/) have a minimum voltage that exceeds the 4.5 V from the . 3x “C” batteries that powers this thing. Clearly, the upper limit on the controller’s range is there to protect it from getting fried. Is the lower limit a similar “hard limit” in that below that voltage the component will not work? If so, I will just insert the DPDT switch and the rechargeable battery back from my attempt to use Tamiya motors and a battery left over from a different project.

Thanks.

Eric

Eric Mueller said:

Aloha,

Because I cannot have enough projects, especially those involving defunct LGB battery powered m2075, I thought I’d start a new - hopefully easier - one. In essence, the IR controller, on crew’s LGB battery-operated m2075 no longer works. As the sound card failed much earlier, my plan is to rip the whole thing out and replace it with a DPDT switch and manual speed controller. Most, like the one here (https://www.mpja.com/DC-Motor-Control-with-Reversing-Switch/productinfo/32678+MD/) have a minimum voltage that exceeds the 4.5 V from the . 3x “C” batteries that powers this thing. Clearly, the upper limit on the controller’s range is there to protect it from getting fried. Is the lower limit a similar “hard limit” in that below that voltage the component will not work? If so, I will just insert the DPDT switch and the rechargeable battery back from my attempt to use Tamiya motors and a battery left over from a different project.

Thanks.

Eric

The 10V is the minimum voltage that the unit will operate at.

This may suit your needs.

https://www.banggood.com/DC-1_8V-3V-5V-6V-12V-2A-PWM-Motor-Speed-Controller-0100-Adjustable-Drive-Module-1803B-p-1474880.html?currency=AUD&utm_source=bing_pa&utm_medium=cpc_bgs&utm_content=zouzou&utm_campaign=pa-au-all-pc-zouzou&cur_warehouse=CN

To reverse use a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) switch as a reverser

Or perhaps consider either a controller with a lower minimum voltage or a larger voltage battery.

GAP:

Thanks. I have the DPDT switch on hand, so your suggestion is the way forward.

Aloha,

Eric

GAP,

Parts are all on hand, and the conversion from crummy IR control to less crummy finger control is underway! Barring operator error on my part, Christmas Thomas should be ready to do loops around the Christmas Tree next month as well a return to “his” routine service as a sacrificial anode for visiting toddlers.

Thanks again!

Eric

Look forward to the unveiling, Bill

Eric Mueller said:

GAP,

Parts are all on hand, and the conversion from crummy IR control to less crummy finger control is underway! Barring operator error on my part, Christmas Thomas should be ready to do loops around the Christmas Tree next month as well a return to “his” routine service as a sacrificial anode for visiting toddlers.

Thanks again!

Eric

Glad I could be of some help Eric. Good luck with the build, if you take it slowly all should be OK.

Gap & Bill:

Thanks. The boys and I turned to on this project today. Who knew wire stripping was a team effort?

The lamp chord was a bit…sturdy, shall we say? But it worked to get power from battery to potentiometer and potentiometer to DPDT switch. I used some smaller gage wire on the DPDT switch itself, and I used the original leads from the motor to complete the circuit. I managed to solder everything without frying parts, me, or the boys. PROGRESS!!! As a matter of expedience, I used some Velcro tape to hold everything in place. Give this little loco’s primary roll as toddler sacrificial anode, I handed it over to Kid-zillla, a certified older toddler, and his brother for field tests:

The DPDT switch will need a better mount in time [Break for aquarium emergency. All is well.]. The Velcro was not equal to the task of operations, though it would suffice for Christmas Tree runs. We’ll have to craft a new roof, but there is no rush on the project.

Eric

Love all the memories in the wall

Eric Mueller said:

Gap & Bill:

Thanks. The boys and I turned to on this project today. Who knew wire stripping was a team effort?

The lamp chord was a bit…sturdy, shall we say? But it worked to get power from battery to potentiometer and potentiometer to DPDT switch. I used some smaller gage wire on the DPDT switch itself, and I used the original leads from the motor to complete the circuit. I managed to solder everything without frying parts, me, or the boys. PROGRESS!!! As a matter of expedience, I used some Velcro tape to hold everything in place. Give this little loco’s primary roll as toddler sacrificial anode, I handed it over to Kid-zillla, a certified older toddler, and his brother for field tests:

The DPDT switch will need a better mount in time [Break for aquarium emergency. All is well.]. The Velcro was not equal to the task of operations, though it would suffice for Christmas Tree runs. We’ll have to craft a new roof, but there is no rush on the project.

Eric

Well done Eric, will the next project be to convert all your fleet to battery, R/C? No stopping you now. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

@Bill and Gap:

Thanks to you both. The plan for the DPDT and Throttle mount is to mount both in a new roof piece. I can replace the raised portion of the cab roof with some styrene glued to pre-cut “timbers,” cover the roof with sand paper, carefully push the new raise portion back-and-forth to sand it to shape, and then glue the lot to the top of Christmas Thomas. I cannot say when I will get to this, but that is the plan.

As for installing R/C, I have an LGB Mogul that would be a perfect candidate. If I had a larger railroad, this would be a “no-brainer;” however, on the Triple O, funds would be better allocated elsewhere for the time being!

Aloha,

Eric