Large Scale Central

WP&Y GE90

They have just announced these available in 1:20 scale as well as 1:2,

I have no idea of the price.

OOOPs, here http://www.edgb.nl/?page_id=3604&lang=en

wondered how long before someone made them. bet that will come with a hefty price

The pricing is 1800 Euros (dummy) to 2450 Euros ($2,700, DCC and sound,) and I didn’t see any indication there were doing different scales. As the body is moulded plastic, I doubt very much it is anything but 1:22.5? The price includes 21% VAT (sales tax.) I wonder if they support export without the sales tax, as the Brits do?

Edit: appears they do, so multiply by 0.826. (1/1.21).

As posted on MLS

, 08:48 AM #6 (permalink)

EddeBruijn

Hello,

After several requests we’ve decide to produce this model also in scale 1/20.3.

Best regards,

Ed

Aaron Loyet said:

wondered how long before someone made them. bet that will come with a hefty price

Why ??

Is there that much of a market for them ??

I rode the WP&Y a couple times as a kid, back when it went clear to Whitehorse and hauled more than tourists. Kind of hope they’ll open that part of the line back up again.

We have been lucky enough to have ridden it 3 times now, as a tourist railroad. On one trip our section of the trail went out to Fraser and back instead of turning back at the top of the pass at the border.

Nice long ride out there but really not much to see.

As for the model locomotives, I wouldn’t want one but I know a lot of folks are interested in them, I think the price could create a breathing issue.

They must be making the plastic body on a 3D printer.

Rick Marty said:

As for the model locomotives, I wouldn’t want one but I know a lot of folks are interested in them, I think the price could create a breathing issue.

Don’t even wanna think how far in debt I would be if a manufacturer made exactly what I wanted. However I’m probably further in debt by researching, purchasing trial and error supplies/materials and wasting time figuring it out but I’m having fun!

This post has been edited by Rooster: Upset and pissed off at myself for not using a comma after However, perhaps it should have been a semi colon!

" Rooster " said:

Rick Marty said:

Don’t even wanna think how far in debt I would be if a manufacturer made exactly what I wanted. However I’m probably further in debt by researching, purchasing trial and error supplies/materials and wasting time figuring it out but I’m having fun!

Amen my friend, amen

This post has been edited by Rooster: Upset and pissed off at myself for not using a comma after However, perhaps it should have been a semi colon!

That is rule one for me, having fun.

If it aint fun, I aint gonna do it. When I said that to my one supervisor, he gave me the strangest look…(https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

I looked at the pictures, smoothness of the surfaces, especially the curves, don’t look like 3d printed, of course could have been filled and sanded…

Greg

Pete Thornton said:

They must be making the plastic body on a 3D printer.

Just to continue the speculation . . This is made in the Netherlands for a European and US audience? My impression is that garden modellers on both continents who buy lots of trains tend to be LGB followers and not too picky about scale [note I said “tend” - I didn’t say they were all like that.] So the majority of the money is spent by people who aren’t too fussy about scale?

And what freight or passenger equipment is available to match a 1:20th scale WP&Y Ge class90? Most of the stuff is going to be 1:22.5. So how many 1:20 models get sold versus 1:22.5? 1:20 scale guys tend to be few and far between and are picky, picky, picky.

Considering that the WP&Y has been mostly tourist I am guessing one could repaint some AMS Jackson and Sharp cars. Some of the equipment back in the freight era was Colorado ng stuff and again you have AMS and Bachmann to choose from in 1:20.3. Sure the container cars and wide vision caboose would be a build only thing.

That being said the Class 90s are going to be getting less use along even with the repower and the same goes for the Class 100 Alcos. WP&Y is getting new locomotives from NRE E3000CC-DC model locomotives. The locomotives will include NRE 5650 trucks and GE764 motors and have 3300 h.p. EMD16-645 with the capability for a single engine to haul up to 16 of our passenger cars on tour. This locomotive is 65 feet long and weighs 265,000 pounds.

These are NRE E3000CC-DC built for Australia. Not sure if they will exactly have the same cab but other NRE E3000CC pictures all show the same cab configuration. Supposedly they fit the existing track and facility structure and meet the AAR plate C clearance plate. They still look massive though.

Not sure why your image doesn’t work for me, wait, it arrived.

The picture is hosted by ngdiscussion.net.

Their SSL certificate expired on the 4th… so your browser will normally block access… you can override it - at your own risk, which is low in this case.

Greg

" Rooster " said:

Aaron Loyet said:

Why ??

Is there that much of a market for them ??

I know that, and you know that. but that makes it perfect for a company to build it then, then only a handful sell and the rest sit there along with all the others. then when we ask why no new products are coming out, they will say because sales aren’t that good hahaha

That’s funny :slight_smile: Is that a joint he’s smokin ?