Large Scale Central

RGS Colour code

Anyone know the colour code or equivalent colour to the accucraft rio grande southern coach colour ?

The closest that I have come to matching it is using Krylon’s Ruddy Brown primer. Its a pretty close match to the AMS Accucraft RGS passenger cars I have. YOu will have to go to an independent Hardware store to get it as the two biog box store Home Depot and Lowe’s don’t carry Krylon paint anymore.

Dan Stuettgen

Colorado & Rio Grande Southern

Does anyone have a good suggestion for the brown used on the box / flat cars?

David, rust-oleum makes a nice brown that looks like dirt in their camo colors

Rust-Oleum Specialty Camouflage Black Spray Paint

Earth Brown1918830 - 12 oz. Spray

David said:

Take a look at this color, Rust-Oleum 2X Gloss Kona, I got it a Home Depot. It’s Dk. Brown with a tint of Dk. Red. I did put a Dull-Coat over the model to protect the decals, I Dull-Coat just about everything I do. I really like the color and I’m thinking of doing some freight cars in this color. Most railroad freight colors are some shade of brown/red in color, I’m talking older cars of the 30’s/40’s/and 50’s.

David said:

David, here is another color that is the same as Box Car Red, I use Rust-Oleum 2X Red Primer. I mainly use this color for undercarriages, rusty trucks, and couplers, and anywhere I want that rust look. I was working on a narrow gauge box car today and I was going to paint it with Scale Coat Box Car Red, it really looked close to the Rust-Oleum Red Primer, in fact it was a perfect match to the Scale Coat color. I decided to paint the box car with the Rust-Oleum red primer, I’m totally pleased with the results, and I’m not easy to please when it comes to my models. I will have to put a gloss coat on the car so I can decal the car, then spray a dull coat for the last coat to seal the decals and a dull finish to the car, I very seldom have any of my trains in a gloss finish. I’m going to Home Depot to get some more of that red primer, #249086 Red Primer.

trainman