Large Scale Central

track upgrades on the RGSNH

Hello,

Those of you that have operated on my railroad may have noticed problems with one of my turnouts in Rico yard. it in effect created the dreaded reverse curve situation entering the yard, and whle it worked most of the time I had issues with it. I had also decided to add some additional trackage to represent an engine house servicing area.

before going too far I printed out a couple of switch templates to see where they would go.

Sub roadbed in place, checking with the templates again.

and the finished trackwork

as part of this process I also doubled the size of the Durango storage tracks, needed for operation.

AL P.

looks very nice, flowing curves… could I see the “before” layout?

Greg

Greg,

I do not thing I have a complete picture before. in the first picture you can see some of the remnants below the templates. basically a left hand curve of approx. 5" radius, with a right hand #5 turnout butted directly on top without any transition. the classic thing they tell you not to do with trackwork. it worked, but certain cars had issues.

AL P.

I see, you had more of a “crossover” between 2 parallel tracks, causing the S curve, whereas you have taken advantage of the curve earlier and extended that smoothly to the track nearest the wall…

(sorry, I could have seen that if I had looked more closely)

All in all, much “prettier”…

Greg

Looking good Al. Having not been there in over a year I’m noticing lots of finishing happening in the barn like the “grass” and the backdrop wall. Next thing you’ll be putting in heat to run later into winter (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

I’ve operated on Al’s layout 4 times, I think. It is a really great railroad and an honor to be invited to see how it works! Anyone heading up to the Boston Area TrainOps should take advantage of his invitation. The railroad operates like the real Rio Grande Southern on a very busy day. In other words, still not many trains running, but 5 trains can be working/running at one time, if you include switching the yards. He uses JMRI for his Train Orders and you’ve got to pay attention to what you are required to do. Al has created great scenery, both indoors and outdoors. There are constant improvements and even couplers work flawlessly.

Over the years, I’ve seen constant improvements and this latest upgrade is really going to add to the operations. Good for you, Al. Going to be hard to wait until next year to try it out.