Large Scale Central

ISO LGB 55006 P MTS Central Station III

I am in search of an LGB 55006 P MTS Central Station III. Mine has failed and I am not interested at this time in changing everything to a new system. I am hoping I can just find a replacement unit to keep operating the way I am for now.

So it looks like this is a dead end. I am now looking at Digitrax. I ran my engines on a friends test setup and they work find. He had a DCS 200. Now I have to look at what is the newest out there that is best for me to invest in.

Mark, I am glad that you can replace the outdated LGB unit with a newer DCC unit.

The newer systems can do a lot more than the old MTS only system. Also the newer decoders have awesome features.

Going to 128 speed steps and having addresses from 1 to over 10,000 is awesome also.

I got a system that does not use boosters, all I have is a power supply and a command station plus my wireless control. OF course is is over $2000.00 but is 24 volts on the track and up to 20 amps without boosters and extra power supplies.

So, consider what you may do in the future and do not buy something too small. Your LGB system did have more than 21 volts to the track but was 5 amps. Some systems are really HO systems and the Booster/additional power supply takes you up to 21 volts. So take all costs into account when selecting a system, the more expensive system could be the cheapest in the long run.

Thanks for the reply Dan, I have 3 engines with LGB factory decoders and 4 with Massoth decoders, My limitation here is I would really like to not have to replace all of them and go with a new system that can use them.

You can run any DCC engine and other decoders on the newer systems.

I run MRC, LGB, Massoth, Marklin, Zimo, lenz decoders on my Zimo system. I also have the MTSI system and have run Zimo and Lenz decoders on it. My friends run similiar decoders on the NCE and MRX and ESU systems. So, it is like the command station is a road and you can run any car/truck, semi on it. only limit is the system current limit vs all the decoders current draw.

I only use the MTS i for my 30 inch diameter loop, never draw over 1 amp. My 8 amp Zimo system feeds my indoor and outdoor RR and I can run 4 trains at the same time.

Note that the Zimo, Massoth and MTS systems all support serial communication that the older LGB decoders have. Others may do this also.

Mark, take a look at the Piko Central Station. I replaced my LGB Central Station III when it failed with the Piko system. I use the Massoth controller and a variety of decoders and all work fine. The Piko Central Station is very affordable as well.

I did not understand the Piko spec where it has 27 volts DCC to the track but power input is 20 volts DC. Booster is rated for 24 volts in and 22 volts out but only 5 amps.

I prefer a system to not have a jumble of cables (read several boosters and power supplies) as the $$ add up fast. Of course it may be like the Johnny Cash song, you get it one piece at a time!!

I know the NMRA spec is 27 volts for DC but has 22 volts DCC spec’d for track power.

I have a 30 volt input on my command station and 24 volts DCC to the track which is above the NMRA standards, but the European MFG’s do this. My Zimo decoders are spec’d for 30 volts.

Here's what my system looks like, except my controller is the Massoth DiMAX Wireless Navigator.  Not really a jumble of cable. The cost for the Piko CS was $239 and the Potrans PS was $84.99, that's fairly inexpensive. I already had the Massoth Navigator and the Massoth wireless transmitter that I used with my defunked LGB CS.  I have 15 Locos and all work very well with this setup.

Pretty funny, the NMRA spec says 22v max on command station output, with 18v typical… can tell you that under 20v to the track is usually a problem with performance on many locos.

I see that the decoders are still spec’d to handle 27v DCC.

Those standards could stand some cleaning up… a little wonky… S9.1, but it’s from 2006, tells you how sturdy the standards are.

Greg

I have decided after some testing with a friends system to go with the Digitrax system, specifically the 210 started kit and the DIG-LNWI locoNet WiFi Interface. Looking on the internet I have found 2 vendors that sell Digitrax products in the same price range. The vendors are Model Train Stuff and Tony’s Train XChange.

I am looking for feedback good and bad of these two vendors to help me decide which one I should buy these items from. Also if you have another source that you would recommend please let me know.

In HO scale I shop st Yankee Dabbler for my Digitrax stuff.

https://yankeedabbler.com/

And there is always Trainworld. I look there too.

Thanks Dave Yankee Dabbler is cheaper than the others.

You are welcome Mark. Yankee Dabbler got me a while back. They had a sale on a 12 pack of Digitrax HO economy decoders. Now I need to come up with a dozen HO locomotives to put the suckers in… The price was about the cost of 10 decoders from anywhere else, maybe a bit less.

I finally had a chance to install the new Digitrax system complete with wifi, it was very easy and only took a few minutes to get everything setup. No more LGB MTS equipment for me.