Large Scale Central

Dual Rail Bender

Question… going out on a limb here… but Does anybody have and would be willing to let me either borrow or rent a dual rail bender for code 250 aluminum rail for a few days to a week? I’ll pay to ship it to me and back. Im in Fort Wayne Indiana. I have about 40 feet to bend or so. Or possibly know how to make one that isn’t $300?

Thanks

Jason

Before the commercial benders were available, there were YouTube vids on making them, usually single rail benders. Which would go pretty fast on that 40’.

Jason V. said:

Question… going out on a limb here… but Does anybody have and would be willing to let me either borrow or rent a dual rail bender for code 250 aluminum rail for a few days to a week? I’ll pay to ship it to me and back. Im in Fort Wayne Indiana. I have about 40 feet to bend or so. Or possibly know how to make one that isn’t $300?

Thanks

Jason

unless you are hand spiking to wood ties I see no reason for a bender I laid 500 ft + of 332 brass rail without a bender without any problems, but if you are hand spiking that might be another subject that rail is very flimsy

Bill, No hand spiked. it’s Llagas Creek pre-assembled rail on ties. Okay. I wasn’t sure if it would kink instead of bend to the curve I want. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jason

Jason - You may want to peruse the belly bend rail techniques. This will probably work well especially since the rail is aluminium. But be careful since it does bend rather easily and is prone to kinking.

I believe Trainli.com rents one, or at least they used to.