Large Scale Central

Rocky Aristo 0-4-0

I have an older 0-4-0 that rocks side to side, a lot. I’ve dug into the motorblock and the front wheel set has quite a bit of lean to play with.

The link below has a picture of the block cover removed. Is there something missing to keep them from rocking the boat so much?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10106514064185218&set=a.10106162144744598&type=3&sfns=mo

You can see that the intention is one axle is pretty much fixed, and the one with the black gearbox should pivot.

I’d look for worn “axle bearings” on the fixed axle… I’m assuming that you mean it lists to port or starboard, rather than wobbling as caused by a wheel not running true

Greg

Greg, you’re right, it lists quickly port and starboard.

So from your picture, the “furthest” axle should be pretty “rigid” in the motor block housing… look for elongated holes in the “axle bearings”

Greg

The furthest axle is rigid, but the nearer axle is quite loose.

Flipped it over and took the roller to it and the fixed axle driver seems to be out of square with the engine itself, and really fights to push towards its right.

An Aristo driver that isn’t square to the axle. Now there is something you don’t see very often.

Sniff, sniff sniif. You smell that? That is sarcasm.