Large Scale Central

Replacement for QSI Titan decoders?

I’ve been away from the hobby for a few years and coming back I have discovered that the QSI Titan for aristo and USAT trains have disappeared from the market. I do have a couple of my USAT engines wired with QSI decoders and work well. I have another 6-8 locos that I would like to convert at some point from DC to DCC. I run the NCE Powerpro wireless (not g-wire) and I really like the handheld for it’s ease of use.

What is my alternative for decoders using an NCE system with DCC on the rails? I would like to keep power over the rails and not have to convert to battery power (Airwire) - if possible.

I have googled the DCC system alternatives but none really talk about which decoders can be used with NCE in aristo and USAT engines (other than QSI and Airwire).

Sorry for the newbie questioning here but I am really confused.

Hey Dan-

Depends on how many amps your engines will be drawing. As of now, I’m not aware of another Sound decoder that can match the 10 amp capability the Titan can. There are two other decoders that come to mind that I’ve heard others try.

1. Soundtraxx Tsunami 2 TSU-4400 decoder, handles 4 amps. https://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami2/products/tsu4400.php

2. ESU Loksound 5XL, handles continuous 4 amp up to 5 amp peak. http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-5-xl/

Dan,

I’m going to install a ESU XL,decoder shortly into my GP9. I will be installing a cheap 3 amp fuse in just in case it draws too much. That said, I’m only running 6 car trains so i probably won’t ever max out the amps.

You can get the “Titan DO” decoders directly from QSI. These are the OEM Titan decoders QSI made for O scale locos, but are suitable for G scale. Apparently there are programming differences between the G scale Titan and the Titan DO, but I’m not sure of the specifics. I’ve only read folks asking for a manual because there are differences. I’m not 100% sure of the maximum current, but I think it’s 5 or 6 amps.

There’s also the TCS WowSound decoder which is rated at 5 amps, and the Zimo MX699 decoder, which I think is 6 amps. (Check their web site for specifics). I’m not as much a fan of the sounds on Zimo, as I find the quality to be hit-or-miss depending on the specific sound file. Phoenix just introduce the SM-18 decoder, which is basically their sound system combined with a motor controller. It currently comes only in a plug-and-play form for Bachmann locos, but you can buy an adapter from various vendors to install it in other locos.

Later,

K

I believe the titan d0 may not have all the lighting outputs the titan revolution (g scale) one has, but most likely it has enough. QSI makes an extra “lighting processor” to add more outputs

my opinion on the Phoenix is that it is unsuitable for the higher current USAT locos…

Zimo makes a 6 amp DCC decoder (not plug and play) and has a 10 amp 20 second peak. Also all largescale Zimo decoders are rated for 30 volts and can take a 50 volt surge.

These do come in a plug and play version for sockets Aristo/Bachmann/USA Trains (MX697) but are 4 amp with the 10 amp peak rating.

Dan I used to have QSI as well, though personally never found the NCE remote to be all that great. I moved all of my engines over to RailPro myself. I use battery power mind you but RailPro will do battery or track power as well. There is a base station to send commands over rail as well. The unit is compatible with DCC but their interface is a hell of a lot easier to use and understand rather than deal with the codes for DCC