Large Scale Central

My new-to-me Railcar

A short while ago on Facebook a gent posted some blurry photos of his father’s collection, and asked if anyone would like to buy the lot. I spotted a bunch of railcars and trucks on a shelf and asked about the red railcar - thought it might be an old Aristo brass model T. Turned out to be a modified diecast model and he kindly held it back when someone came and bought the whole collection. I was intrigued by the drive, so we came to an agreement and it turned up yesterday.

Here’s the photo he sent when he took it down from the shelf. Still not very focused.

Then his kids got their hands on it and dropped it, breaking all the gold plastic bits. I took it anyway, and here’s what it looks like with the headlights, spare wheel and back seat all glued back in.

It appears the owner removed the old chassis and made a new brass one.

As I mentioned, the drive was interesting, especially that back axle. Initially I wondered if the drive went through the axle, but no.

It seems to be made of metal or very hard plastic, and is a skew or hypoid bevel, where the input and output shafts are not on the same plane. The Climax geared locos used these type of skew gears to drive each axle from the driveshaft that went across the top of both trucks. (Anyone ever seen anything like this gear set?)

Anyway, you will note the whisker track pickup on the wheel - there’s one on each wheel. It appears to spin the motor, but I haven’t persuaded the car to move yet - the wheels seem dirty, it had no oil, and the bevel gears don’t seem to be meshed completely. We will persevere.

Nice! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I believe gears like that can be had from Stock Drive products https://www.sdp-si.com/ Don’t blame me for sending you there, they have almost everything you can imagine for drive projects. I got the bevel gears used in this scratch built Heisler truck from them

Nice rail truck!

Gary, any chance we could learn more about that Heisler?

Aaron Loyet said:

Gary, any chance we could learn more about that Heisler?

Aaron,

Only if we are lucky enough for him to do such. Love to see more myself and refresh my memory.

Pete (the original poster) is gonna try and shop out his gears from an RC car hobby store as he stated in another thread.

is gonna try and shop out his gears from an RC car hobby store

It’s actually quite fascinating where this stuff takes you. For several years, back in the '60s in the UK, I got in to slot cars. In those days they used simple beval gears, but brass, not delrin/nylon/ ? plastic.

And today, when I search eBay for bevels, I find that at least 2 manufacturers here n the US were selling brass hypoid bevel gears. Do you know how tricky they are, and how much the Climax steam engine guys want some?
[P.S. Those gears on the Model T are hypoid, as the drive shaft is not in the same plane as the axle.]

Not going any deeper on Pete’s thread, what little else there is to see can be found here http://www.raccooncrkrwy.com/plc-2.html