Large Scale Central

Coaches for the Emily/Stirling Sngle

This thread is for Jerry Barnes. . . I couldn’t find the discussion about various coaches for the Stirling.

I have an Emily and a Smallbrook conversion kit, but haven’t got around to doing anything with it yet. But I do have a few days before a big trip so I didn’t want to start a large project - so I started a small one.
I have always thought the Annie & Clarabell coaches needed better underframes, so I swapped the Emily 6-wheel frame for the 4 wheel Annie.

It looks much improved. Smaller disc wheels help - you can see how big the old ones were.

The next trick is to buy another Emily coach and splice 2 together on proper trucks. I have a pair of Bachmann coach trucks in my parts box, so I dug them out and put one under the Emily coach. Then I took a pic and photoshopped it into a long bogie coach:

It has regular B’mann passenger trucks. Not sure if they are anything like the Midland Railway trucks from the 1870s, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out. This pic shows a 6-compartment coach, whereas the Annie coach has 4 so I should be able to get 7 compartments total. The roof will need shortening so I can’t do 4+4 = 8.

Then it will need painting Midland Red with new glazing, etc.

I believe there was a great discussion on GScaleCentral.com too…

I have the emily kit, but have not updated it, fighting the crappy oem DCC decoder from Bachmann/SoundTraxx…

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

I believe there was a great discussion on GScaleCentral.com too…

I have the emily kit, but have not updated it, fighting the crappy oem DCC decoder from Bachmann/SoundTraxx…

Greg

Greg,

Please stay on topic as the original poster mentioned nothing about DCC or Soundtaxx.

But we could debate this all day long for Jerry and never search google and what google thinks.

Link to google vignette

Or for those not internet savvy

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&biw=1354&bih=597&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=2fz2XLOQGeXB_QaK14C4CQ&q=Midland+Railway+coaches+in+the+1870%27s&oq=Midland+Railway+coaches+in+the+1870%27s&gs_l=img.12…149684.151456…153717…0.0…0.96.658.8…0…1…gws-wiz-img.F2xfcFRJXzQ#imgrc=l5QIlQDNvXMjvM:

“I have an Emily and a Smallbrook conversion kit, but haven’t got around to doing anything with it yet.”

so my response that I have not done my kit yet is off topic?

shut up rooster

Now now children. No need to fight.

Greg - I did particpate in the Gscalecentral discussion too, but couldn’t remember how far we got in doing anything. Best of luck with the decoder.

Rooster - I did live among those coaches, and often visit the ‘heritage’ railways, like the Keighley & Worth Valley, where they have lots of Midland stuff. My family is from that area.

Jeremy Viewing did a nice job on his coaches, painted them to look like wood and made a brake one also. You can see them on the UK G scale site.

Jerry Barnes said:

Jeremy Viewing did a nice job on his coaches, painted them to look like wood and made a brake one also. You can see them on the UK G scale site.

Yes, I saw them - very nice. As I have to replace a coach end, and add the curl on the roof edge, it looks as is ther “teak” will need a repaint. [Fortunately, if I make a long clerestory, I will have 2 ends left over so I won’t need to pay Smallbrook a fortune for a replacement!]