Large Scale Central

Contemplating a switch in scale

I have come to the realization that 1:20.3 scale is too large for me, and doesn’t fit in with the smaller scales that many of my club members run at shows. In addition, not much small equipment is offered, which I prefer (0-4-0s, critters, etc.). Being a narrow gauger, the other two options are 1:22 and 1:24 (sorry 7/8" scale fans). I considered 1:22 scale, but being mostly LGB, there is not much scale fidelity, and there are only two kinds of autos available. So, 1:24 seems like the logical choice for a variety of reasons. First, I already own a couple 1:24 vehicles. Second, it is very easy to convert measurements to this scale for building things. Third, it seems like there is better scale fidelity in 1:24. Lastly, 1:24 size equipment can negotiate railways that were built before 1:20.3 was developed. I don’t intend to necessarily model 3ft gauge, and I like the idea of modeling 42" gauge.

What are y’alls take on 1:24?

Do any of you model exclusively in 1:24?

What kind of equipment is available in 1:24?

Is there anything I am overlooking?

Thank you for your thoughts. I appreciate it.

Joe,

This is EXACTLY why I model by eye and not to scale!

P.S…Gary Buchanan models to 1:24 scale

Well, I like it.

I bought into Aristocraft’s Classic line.

I took a raft of poop for it by purists that were modeling On30 on HO track while I was doing On3 on hand laid track…

It was that 10’ rule that settled my mind, well that and watching Ma Nature reduce scale efforts to stripped down models with one good storm.

You are late to the game though, I pick up the Reel cars when they are cheap enough, but I’m not looking much.

Hartland is a source.

I am with Rooster on this, I have 1/29 , 1/24 and 1/32 cars and I think they all look fine in a train together and my building are almost all 1/24 or close to it. I will report back when first person makes a comment on them not looking right size for other things

I’m with all the others. I started as a 1:20.3 “purist” but my ambitions were not in sync with the market, my skills and financial wherewithal. I have Bachmann, HLW, LGB, AMS, Aristo and PIKO, POLA, etc. And as others have intimated I have a rubber ruler and use a much reduced 5 foot rule (or less).

As they say, it’s my railroad and my rules.

I’m a mixed bag of scales, some 1/22.5 some 1/24 and some who knows what. Eye is the best judge.

everything between 22.5 and 32 goes for me.

I have all scales. When I build something it is built in 1/24 scale. Easier to figure…

My husband and I have a train garden, the garden is more significant than the trains. We don’t “model” anything per se, our trains are anything from 1:29 to 1:20.3. The only convention that we follow is that within any one particular consist everything is about the same scale and looks kinda like it belongs together. We have a bunch of old Pola buildings we picked up pretty cheap and that’s about it for structures. If/when we have vehicles in it they are all 1:24. When we do shows with our train club we tend to favor smaller trains like the Mack and LGB Porter that look right on squiggly, windy track layouts. Frequently we’ll use a random collection of birdhouses and 1:43 vehicles that look to be in proportion. We’re not going to win any praise from purists and modelers, but the non-train people who come by the house or at train shows like it, especially the kids, and we have fun.

Sophie B

Dismal Creek Railroad

I started out doing 1:24 and 1:22 scale .I found it was much cheaper and easier to model in this scale. Cars and buildings were easy to find especially Colorado model structures. If I didn’t get into live steam is still be modeling in that scale …now I stick mainly to 1:20 scale although not exact but enough to where I can’t use 1:24 stuff .

I’ve done a mix of 1/24 and 1/22 since day one (around 1997). Anything I build is in 1/24 and because I don’t want to build all of my rolling stock 1/22 is close enough. In 1/24 the 1/20.3 stuff is close enough to standard gauge to use it for that if you want to. Yes it makes the track gauge 42" but in the early days it was a lot more prevalent than most folks think, certain much more so that 2’ gauge. Here is some info on 42" gauge http://www.raccooncrkrwy.com/42gauge.HTM

What kind of equipment is available in 1:24?

As John mentioned, the Aristocraft “Classic” line (was Delton before that,) is 1/24th and includes the little 2-8-0, coaches, and some freights. PSC (?) used to make nice brass locos and cars, including D&RGW K mikados. A pal has some and brought them to run a few years ago.

Dollhouse parts are readily available in 1/2" scale.

We also run a mix of scales, but nothing in the larger 1:20.3 size. Mostly older Kamazoo/Hartland, a few of LGB’s field railway cars and logging disconnects for my Roundhouse Sammie. Planning to get some 16mm UK stuff this year. If I started over from scratch, I would go straight 16mm gauge on 32mm gauge track. But back when I bought most of my track, the Internet was in its infancy and LGB 45mm gauge track was what I could buy locally. I say if it looks good together, then go with it, after all, garden railroading for me was to get away from the nit picking and rivet counting of the smaller/fine scales. And the ability to enjoy live steam operation. Mike the Aspie

1:24 on 45mm track gives you a scale 42 inch track gauge. About the only place that used 42 inch gauge track is Australia. That said, 1/2 inch scale (1:24) sure makes the calculations easy when you start rolling building your own stuff. I have three 1:24 scale locomotives and no 1:24 cars. I pull whatever with those locos, and it looks fine. I’d say make the switch, if it makes you happy.

Newfoundland Railway used 42" gauge…as did a lot of British built or influenced, NG railways…

I rather like my method: do it run on my track and not fall off? Gudnuff.

Sophie Boone said:

My husband and I have a train garden, the garden is more significant than the trains. We don’t “model” anything per se, our trains are anything from 1:29 to 1:20.3. The only convention that we follow is that within any one particular consist everything is about the same scale and looks kinda like it belongs together. We have a bunch of old Pola buildings we picked up pretty cheap and that’s about it for structures. If/when we have vehicles in it they are all 1:24. When we do shows with our train club we tend to favor smaller trains like the Mack and LGB Porter that look right on squiggly, windy track layouts. Frequently we’ll use a random collection of birdhouses and 1:43 vehicles that look to be in proportion. We’re not going to win any praise from purists and modelers, but the non-train people who come by the house or at train shows like it, especially the kids, and we have fun.

Sophie B

Dismal Creek Railroad

and that’s what it’s all about!!!

Bill, I think it takes a lot before things start looking goofy. Here, for instance, I am testing some track with a 1:20.3 scale Shay pulling some long (that was one of the points of the test) 1:32 scale passenger coaches. Now this picture looks crazy even to my eye, and I wouldn’t run it on the layout ordinarily if this were not a test, not just because of the strange combination of equipment, but the Shay is about a full half a size too big for 1:24 on top of it. I make allowances some times though; for instance, I know the 1:20 shay is huge for all my buildings (1:24) and other equipment (1:24, 1:29, etc.) but the Bachmann Shay is just such a cool piece of equipment I live with all five of 'em I have.

edit: there are tricks, too. Like separating 1:29 box cars and such from a 1:22 locomotive by a couple of flat cars, so the comparison isn’t as easy to make.

John Passaro said:

there are tricks, too.

I put my 1:24 buildings back a little from the track.

I run Bachmann Big Haulers and rolling stock.

Adam

Boy, Did I screw this post up(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

John Passaro said:

Bill, I think it takes a lot before things start looking goofy. Here, for instance, I am testing some track with a 1:20.3 scale Shay pulling some long (that was one of the points of the test) 1:32 scale passenger coaches. Now this picture looks crazy even to my eye, and I wouldn’t run it on the layout ordinarily if this were not a test, not just because of the strange combination of equipment, but the Shay is about a full half a size too big for 1:24 on top of it. I make allowances some times though; for instance, I know the 1:20 shay is huge for all my buildings (1:24) and other equipment (1:24, 1:29, etc.) but the Bachmann Shay is just such a cool piece of equipment I live with all five of 'em I have.

edit: there are tricks, too. Like separating 1:29 box cars and such from a 1:22 locomotive by a couple of flat cars, so the comparison isn’t as easy to make.

This is true. I’m just happy to have stuff that runs