Large Scale Central

Opinions on the Aristo Lil' Critter

Hello all,

I am thinking of buying an Aristo Lil’ Critter. What are your thoughts on it? (reliability, pulling power, possible problems, etc.)

Thank you for your comments.

I’ve never owned one, but it is basically a cut down RS-3. If you get a later one, with the updated gearbox, it should be a great little loco. I had three different late version RS-3s and they were the best running Aristo locos I ever bought.

I have one that I got being an "“Aristo Club” member… It was wired backwards, and would run in the opposite direction from every other loco I have…

Mine starts out rather jerky, but once it gets moving its a good runner. I think I may just need to clean and lube mine, as well as check the connections and it should run even better.

New or old type blocks they can pull fine.

You do need to check for damaged gears, where only one axle is really pulling.

Power pickup can be an issue, the newer types with ball bearings can damage themselves in a short, where the wire in the motor housing touches the ball bearings.

Easy to work on, so I say go ahead.

Greg

I got one of the early ones a year or two after they came out. My only complaint is that my engineer has come unseated in my many moves. It pulls well enough.

I had the Critter and the USA 20 tonner. I much prefer the 20 tonner, it is too bad they have not been made in a long time, but they do use a common USA Trains motor block and it is half the price of the Aristo/Bachmann replacement.

I had the Critter and the USA 20 tonner. I much prefer the 20 tonner, it is too bad they have not been made in a long time, but they do use a common USA Trains motor block and it is half the price of the Aristo/Bachmann replacement.