Forums Modeling O / On30
  • Topic: The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30

    Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 24, 2019 7:22 PM EST
      • Rooster Works "Area 69" ,
         
      • Posts
        14,310
      • Thanks
        2,314
      • Thanked
        1,395

      Bruce Chandler said:
      Bruce Chandler said:

      Very nice looking.  You're making it come alive!

      It's great that the workers know exactly where to place the "ROAD"

      I'm not sure what the "original" color was...but here's a shot of the triple combine undergoing restoration in the Spencer Shops...

      I suspect that the keys is to have a large number of paint samples; most of which should backup your authoritative statements as to the actual color based on "expert" witnesses.  There doesn't appear to be any color pictures of it from back in the day so it's probably time to just make stuff up! 

       

       

       

       

       

      Looks real close to the Rookwood greens from Sherwin Williams (which are still the same color mixes used from the turn of the century) however not available in a rattle can.  I used #2812 for the trim color on my home and its a bit bolder than the palette pic. But I would put my money on #2810 in an oil base semi gloss as the body color of the car.

    • November 27, 2019 11:17 PM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        1,553
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        152

      Rooster ' said:
      Bruce Chandler said:
      Bruce Chandler said:

      Very nice looking.  You're making it come alive!

      It's great that the workers know exactly where to place the "ROAD"

      I'm not sure what the "original" color was...but here's a shot of the triple combine undergoing restoration in the Spencer Shops...

      I suspect that the keys is to have a large number of paint samples; most of which should backup your authoritative statements as to the actual color based on "expert" witnesses.  There doesn't appear to be any color pictures of it from back in the day so it's probably time to just make stuff up! 

       

       

       

       

       

      Looks real close to the Rookwood greens from Sherwin Williams (which are still the same color mixes used from the turn of the century) however not available in a rattle can.  I used #2812 for the trim color on my home and its a bit bolder than the palette pic. But I would put my money on #2810 in an oil base semi gloss as the body color of the car.

      Thanks Rooster for the further research on that interesting green color. Lot of good ideas here and much appreciated.

      Doc Tom

       

    • November 29, 2019 1:04 PM EST
      • Southern Illinois
         
      • Posts
        9,079
      • Thanks
        415
      • Thanked
        425

      That 2812 color looks about right for the interior color of many locomotives, and other motive power.  Kind of reminds you of the interior color of government offices.  I think it is suppose to keep employees from "going postal". 

    • November 30, 2019 7:11 AM EST
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        11,003
      • Thanks
        119
      • Thanked
        870

      Oh, puke green......Yup!

      ____________________________________

      Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

      I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

      and King Butt Modeler

    • December 15, 2019 9:18 PM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        1,553
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        152

      Santa drops off some goodies at Linville.

      Santee Claus just visited the Gandy Dancers at the On30 Layout Design Element (LDE) in Linville on the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina RR. He left them some fine imported On30 track (Peco from Merry ole England) and the guys were ecstatic.



      There was some Christmas cheer in that bag of his as well.......



      .....and the boys merrily went about laying the track for the entire LDE without a complaint.





      Next up is connecting the dropped wires to the bus wires and getting #11 moving under her own power.

      Thanks for looking.Merry Christmas.

      Doc Tom

    • December 16, 2019 4:23 PM EST
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        11,003
      • Thanks
        119
      • Thanked
        870

      Looks like someone has been into the eggnog already.

      ____________________________________

      Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

      I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

      and King Butt Modeler

    • December 20, 2019 1:42 PM EST
      • Post Falls, Idaho
         
      • Posts
        8,071
      • Thanks
        2,221
      • Thanked
        1,179

      Doc,

       

      You do such excellent work.  You are the reason I even started thinking about On30. What you do in such small spaces on themes I really enjoy is very inspirational. 

      ____________________________________
    • December 21, 2019 8:33 AM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        1,553
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        152

      David Maynard said:

      Looks like someone has been into the eggnog already.

      Could it be those guys with  the wide eyed Woodland Scenics paint jobs????   Doc Tom

    • December 21, 2019 8:38 AM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        1,553
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        152

      Devon Sinsley said:

      Doc,

       

      You do such excellent work.  You are the reason I even started thinking about On30. What you do in such small spaces on themes I really enjoy is very inspirational. 

       

      Thanks Devon. Appreciate the kind sentiments. You will fine that working in On30 gets a lot of cues from the larger scales. Including........drum rolll.....working with battery power and radio control if desired. Of course it is the On30 steamers with a tender that can easily handle the newer batteries and tiny electronics. Also the trees and buildings are BIG similar to large scale. Making the construction easier on eyes and hands.  Doc Tom

    • December 21, 2019 2:34 PM EST
      • Post Falls, Idaho
         
      • Posts
        8,071
      • Thanks
        2,221
      • Thanked
        1,179

      Tom Grabenstein said:
      Devon Sinsley said:

      Doc,

       

      You do such excellent work.  You are the reason I even started thinking about On30. What you do in such small spaces on themes I really enjoy is very inspirational. 

       

      Thanks Devon. Appreciate the kind sentiments. You will fine that working in On30 gets a lot of cues from the larger scales. Including........drum rolll.....working with battery power and radio control if desired. Of course it is the On30 steamers with a tender that can easily handle the newer batteries and tiny electronics. Also the trees and buildings are BIG similar to large scale. Making the construction easier on eyes and hands.  Doc Tom

      Well I am going to go all out and do DCC. I was going to to it with the 1:24nand since the Bachmann locos I will likely be using already come equipped with DCC and sound I won't be doing battery. But maybe in some critters or something.

       

      The scenery was the final straw in switching. Its big enough to work with and yet small enough to allow me to model more.

      ____________________________________
    • December 31, 2019 11:08 PM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        1,553
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        152

      Geraldo never liked to work.




      Least of all, did he want to shovel coal on a hot summer’s day? Naaaah.






      He was quite content to while away his time watching trains go by his shack along the ET &WNC mainline up in the mountains.



      Thanks for looking and resting a spell with Geraldo.

      Doc Tom

    • December 31, 2019 11:21 PM EST
      • Waverly, Alabama
         
      • Posts
        1,982
      • Thanks
        761
      • Thanked
        769

      Give that man a beer, it’s hot out   Great photos, Doc. 

      ____________________________________

       

    • January 1, 2020 10:33 AM EST
      • Southern Illinois
         
      • Posts
        9,079
      • Thanks
        415
      • Thanked
        425

      So Doc, did you get enough track for the entire layout?  Cool!  If you get a chance, could you take an overall shot, showing the track on the LDE track plan?  Very impressed with your ideas.  

    • January 1, 2020 7:52 PM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        1,553
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        152

      Dan Hilyer said:

      Give that man a beer, it’s hot out   Great photos, Doc. 

      Thanks Dan. Geraldo is getting thirsty. Not doing anything sure can wear a fella out. Doc Tom

    • January 1, 2020 7:56 PM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        1,553
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        152

      " alt="">

      Ric Golding said:

      So Doc, did you get enough track for the entire layout?  Cool!  If you get a chance, could you take an overall shot, showing the track on the LDE track plan?  Very impressed with your ideas.  

       

       

    • January 1, 2020 8:00 PM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        1,553
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        152

      Ric Golding said:

      So Doc, did you get enough track for the entire layout?  Cool!  If you get a chance, could you take an overall shot, showing the track on the LDE track plan?  Very impressed with your ideas.  

       

      I have been buying track for each individual LDE. I have all the track in for the Linville LDE which is at the far right of the track plan I sent earlier above. Here is the current LDE in the picture below. Doc Tom

      IMG_0102.jpg (574.57 Kb)
      This post was edited by Tom Grabenstein at January 1, 2020 8:02 PM EST
    • January 1, 2020 8:27 PM EST
      • Winmalee, NSW Australia
         
      • Posts
        124
      • Thanks
        241
      • Thanked
        36

       

    • January 3, 2020 9:47 AM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        1,553
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        152

      Mick Benton said:

       

      Thanks for getting the photo to show up. Tis' appreciated.  Doc Tom

    • January 5, 2020 11:09 AM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        1,553
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        152

      The New Tank at Linville.

      Dewey and Raylan inspect the new water tank at the Linville Depot site on the ET &WNC R.R.. Well its not leaking and holds water well.








      Number 11 will get a drink soon……when these guys quit mugging for the camera.




      These overall shots show the empty lot where the Linville Depot will go and there is a definite need to plant trees to get ……..








      to this look that I am trying to achieve.



      Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

    • January 5, 2020 1:59 PM EST
      • Waverly, Alabama
         
      • Posts
        1,982
      • Thanks
        761
      • Thanked
        769

      Nice photos, Doc.  Looks like you are well on your way to achieving the look noted in the 1:1 photo.

      ____________________________________

       

Forums Modeling O / On30

    Icon Legend

  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google