Large Scale Central

LGB Parts Need

In my stupidity or being a professional in the field of organized chaos I have inadvertently misplaced or tossed the reed switch to my LGB Forney that provides the chuff. I’m looking for a good source to purchase a replacement and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Richard

Its a photo-interrupter, and TrainLi should be able to get you one.

Hmm… it’s not a hall effect switch? I had a forney once and would swear it was a magnet and a hall effect sensor.

Greg

Thanks for the suggestion David. TrainLi just called me back and they do not have that particular item in stock and not sure when or if it will be available. Greg, the picture below is from Google but is pretty close idea of what I’m missing. I figured it handled the chuff since there is pin at each wheel and the circuit board goes up into the motor box and connects right about where 2 solder points are.

That is absolutely 2 small reed switches for sure.

Is this a much older Forney?

Greg

Greg, I’m guessing early 2000. I’ve been reading some older threads on Burnsland regarding converting the LGB Columbus to the Disneyland Fred Gurley. That’s my ultimate plan. I purchased the engine last September from Hans in Tehachapi at his annual open house. He said this particular engine was built in Germany due to the front pilot trucks. I guess the US made don’t have them…he had these also but there was a dramatic price point difference between the Germany and US made.

I’m completely overhauling my studio where I took things apart and am coming up empty trying to find the reed switch. The funny thing is I have all the other components I pulled out including the track pickups and the original circuit board. I’ve been told I can probably make a reed switch but that is above my pay grade in electronics at this point. I’m installing a Phoenix P8 in the engine along with Tony Walsh’s RC gear.

Richard

I had a German made one that did not have a pilot truck…

You can see the made in germany on the motor block.

So, the german Forneys did not all have a pilot truck either.

Thanks for the clarification Greg. I must have misunderstood Hans at his open house.

Richard

The board with 2 reed sensors are bell and whistle which are activated by track magnets. Left rail is bell, right rail is WHISTLE/HORN.

Forney front axle had the ‘magnet’ rear of motor block contained the 2 reeds on the Forneys.

LGB 65012 can be used in place of the 2 reed sensors, middle wire is common.

Chuff sensor is hard to find.

So was the chuff sensor a hall effect device Dan?

Greg

Finally found the reed sensor at Modell-land.de

ML-Train 80501013

Also the 65012 which is ML-Train 80501016

Cable for reed is possibly this one: DC board connector appears to be correct, not sure if the sensor ia a pc board connector or the 3 pin 100 mil type.

ML-Train 80501017