Large Scale Central

And for only $37K...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303007754073

What’s this guy thinking?

a missprint ?

If you look at the listing it says not all listed, but then shows a photo full of LGB numbers. A quick count showed around 200. So 37K divided by 200 is $185. That’s not that bad of an average price.

You’re right Craig, I didn’t scroll over to the lists. I thought it was just those 10 boxes, haha!

Somebody told him he had a fortune in Large scale, and he thinks he’s going to get it with all the brand name collector cars, just my 2 cents

We had a guy here try to sell a LGB starter set and some track for $4,000. So, relatively speaking, this is a bargain!

I agree, Eric. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

And I remember a certain EB seller named “babycrilz” who – after a number of us on MLS (Rooster, don’t say it) tried to kindly educate him – was adamant on $6K for his LGB starter set.

Cliff,

I am glad to see this is not a Hawai’i specific phenomenon! For what it is worth, I had the same end result. I low-balled at $75; he countered with $400. I then sent the seller links to what he was offering so he could see the new value of his offering, and explained I wasn’t going to pay new prices for used stuff. He ascribed the difference to “sentimental value,” and that was that.

Have a great weekend!

Eric

Well, if it has that kind of sentimental value to him, then he should’t sell it.

I remember years ago, someone sent me a link to a listing for a Heartland Liberty Belle, for $1200. “Its a rare limited edition”, and it was a limited edition. But Heartland, at the time, still had them in stock for an MSRP of like $450…

caveat emptor

Craig Townsend said:

If you look at the listing it says not all listed, but then shows a photo full of LGB numbers. A quick count showed around 200. So 37K divided by 200 is $185. That’s not that bad of an average price.

I could be wrong, and I’m not saying it’s a good deal because he seems to asking retail prices, but it looks like he’s got about $6,000-$8,000 just in locomotives… ?

Since they are all New in Box, I suspect he uses a Toy Train Collector’s price list, thus he expects his investment to appreciate.

Is he selling the loco’s and cars?? or, just the boxes???

Years ago, people were buying just the boxes…

Andy Clarke said:

Is he selling the loco’s and cars?? or, just the boxes???

Years ago, people were buying just the boxes…

Both! What a rookie!

He should’ve posted pics of the entire collection, at least the big stacks. As it stands, the seller is expecting to commit to $25k without showing the main volume of product except a handwritten list.

Again, look at the average cost per piece. About $185 isn’t that unreasonable if you figure both locomotives and cars. I certainly don’t have 37k laying around. And if I did, I might be a 7.5" steamer… :wink:

I agree about the average price; I’m saying that not seeing photos of 3/4 of the lot, and plunking down a min opening bid of 25k requires a big leap of faith and trust.

Does anyone know if there is a way of telling if an ebay item has a reserve price? Seriously.

If the opening bid is not a reserve, you could end up buying the lot for $24,000, which could end up being about $5,000 for the locomotives and $100 each for the rest, which could be a decent price if someone wanted to make a maybe a few bucks reselling the items individually or in sets. I’d think $18,000-$19,000 would be more like it to make reselling worthwhile though.

There are a few Christmas sets in the lot which go for anywhere from $150 to $250 or so (in November/December naturally).

edit…p.s., Cliff, I guess the leap of faith would be that they are new, as advertised, in their boxes and the inventory is accurate.

He might do better breaking it into smaller lots. And of course, pictures of each piece, from all sides would help.

David Maynard said:

He might do better breaking it into smaller lots. And of course, pictures of each piece, from all sides would help.

If I bought them from him and were reselling them, that’s what I would do.

I sent him an offer two days ago for the locomotives, but I haven’t heard back.

Hahaha… sentimental value, translation, wife wanted it gone, he didn’t, see honey no one will buy it so I got to keep it.