Large Scale Central

Southern pine

Found this a nursery the other day and it looked like a nice substitute for pine type conifers which seem to have a little trouble growing in the south due to heat. saw these in a mass and it looked like I was gazing into a forest of pines, kin to asparagus fern but grows up on ridged stems. On my old layout I had asparagus fern covering a hill which became a mountain in a year and it put up with everything great plant.

Winter hardy to USDA Zone 9-11 where plants can be grown outdoors year round as long as temperatures never dip below 20-25 degrees F. Plants perform best in light, organically rich, consistently moist but well drained soils in part shade (bright indirect light or filtered sun). Avoid direct hot afternoon sun which may cause the leaves to yellow (scorch). Too much shade, however, may also cause the leaves to fade to light green or yellow. Additional causes of leaf yellowing include rapid changes in temperatures or lighting conditions. Although plants prefer evenly moist soils, they have respectable tolerance for drought. Pinch back stem tips as needed to maintain plant form and promote dense foliage growth. If plants lose attractive shape, stems may be cut back close to the soil level to regenerate. Propagate by seed or division. Self-seeding can be mildly invasive in some subtropical to tropical areas (e.g., southern Florida and Hawaii).

I’ve had good luck with cedars, they were always popping up in my Nebraska layout, they take trimming real well and you can keep them small. Boxwoods work good also, even the Alberta spruces seem to do will in Kansas.

I have a section on plants that might be helpful, it helps to know which species can be kept small, as Jerry says about trimming.

https://elmassian.com/index.php/large-scale-train-main-page/plants

It’s not real comprehensive, but it has pictures!

Greg

Greg

Since your site does not allow download of tree selections do you have a listing avail through pm? I am in the middle of relandscaping and trying to get plantings in before the winter. I am in the SF Bay Area

Mike Paterson

mike, email me, so I have your email address… I’ll fix you up.

Greg

I am partial to rosemary. It is cheap and it takes a beating!

(https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Now is that nice?

Rosemary “tree”

Greg

Have sent email to [email protected] but bounces.

Mike Paterson

[email protected]

I get 1200 emails a day… must be mispelled… spelled right on my signature.

I’ll send you an email and we can see what went wrong.

Greg