Large Scale Central

LGB Forney Cab Removal

Looking for some words of wisdom and experience with removing the cab of an LGB Forney. I’ve removed the screws underneath and the rear lifts a bit, but it seems still attached to the boiler. Playing it very gently as I do not wish to break or snap anything…

Richard

Digging up an LGB parts manual for you engine on the web will be helpful, if you have not done so. They are pretty good at helping reverse engineer it. I recall screws under bunker, then cab screws as well as screws for boiler backhead are also underneath. Ashpan. Tender bunker should “jiggle” out. Smokebox and attached handrails will partially “slide“ out of boiler tube once two tiny screws on either side of smokebox are removed. Only go as far as to disengage the handrails from the cab, which should free cab (theres a small nipple on top of boiler that “locks” the cab to it) and allow disconnecting of smoke unit and headlight etc should further disassembly be required. (hence why you cannot remove smokebox completely in previous steps) This sequence may not be spot on but best that I can remember off hand. I hope this helps.

Good luck,

glenn

Thanks Glenn…I did manage to find and print the parts manual. I’ve gotten everything quite loosened up but am at the point where I’m not sure how to remove the cab from the boiler…it seems like one piece, however I know it is not. There seems to be a tiny screw in the cab just under where the boiler meets the cab…not sure how I’m supposed to get in there…

Richard

Whew!!.. Got the boiler and cab removed from the chassis…now I can take a look at the electronics in the hopes of wiring this dude with RC/Battery…and taking the screening logos of so I can put Stan’s “Santa Fe and Disneyland” logos in their place.

Richard

Could you share what the magic trick is?

Greg…I started with Glenn’s suggestions below.

Glenn Bianchi said:

Digging up an LGB parts manual for you engine on the web will be helpful, if you have not done so. They are pretty good at helping reverse engineer it. I recall screws under bunker, then cab screws as well as screws for boiler backhead are also underneath. Ashpan. Tender bunker should “jiggle” out. Smokebox and attached handrails will partially “slide“ out of boiler tube once two tiny screws on either side of smokebox are removed. Only go as far as to disengage the handrails from the cab, which should free cab (theres a small nipple on top of boiler that “locks” the cab to it) and allow disconnecting of smoke unit and headlight etc should further disassembly be required. (hence why you cannot remove smokebox completely in previous steps) This sequence may not be spot on but best that I can remember off hand. I hope this helps.

Good luck,

glenn

That was the easy part though…you have to gently raise the cab over the little character glued there…I did it ever so gently but once it was clear the boiler and cab together slipped right off. I then unplugged all of the wiring from the pc board behind the weight. Although I haven’t done it yet there is a single screw in the roof of the cab at the point where the boiler meets…I believe you unscrew that the boiler and cab will be separated.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Thanks, I had a page on my web site:

https://elmassian.com/index.php/large-scale-train-main-page/motive-power-mods-aamp-tips/lgb-motive-power/forney

Perhaps while it is fresh in your mind, you could review my disassembly instructions and help me fine tune it or correct it.

Thanks, Greg

Do you know how to take the cow catcher including the small wheels off the Forney. Those little wheels dont track well. There is a long shank that connect them to the loco and it has a Y at the end. I cant figure out how to take the whole thing off. Thanks Mike