Large Scale Central

Correcting Picture Orientation

I uploaded several pictures to my freight shed with the hope of posting but every single one came out like it’s laying on it’s side. When I view these photos on Photoshop Elements or using the Windows 10 viewer they all look normal. Would appreciate any help can give considering the time it takes find, upload and post as it is.

Thanks,

Richard

I’ve noticed sometimes it prefers a landscape orientation; wider than tall.

I don’t know why, but I crop 'em to sit right.

edit for a sticky k

This image wanted to lay on it’s side originally. So I downloaded it again…Windows viewer/editor showed in the correct position…so I cropped it as John suggested and uploaded it again to LSC. It is now oriented correctly…seems like a very cumbersome and time consuming way of posting pictures.

Yep this is a shoestring operation, Not for Profit, but a great site, so I try to look past the warts.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

My post is certainly not a slam against LSC…I love this site. Just wanted to find out if anyone had a work around…

Richard

Richard,

Are your pictures from a camera or cell phone camera? The reason I ask is any pictures from a cell phone that I down load to the computer and resize look fine in the photo program but once uploaded to Freight Shed they are laying on their side. From camera no problems, this is Windows 10 and Chrome I am talking about.

The only work around I have found is the one mentioned by John, rotating and cropping in the photo program.

Rick

Rick Marty said:

Richard,

Are your pictures from a camera or cell phone camera? The reason I ask is any pictures from a cell phone that I down load to the computer and resize look fine in the photo program but once uploaded to Freight Shed they are laying on their side. From camera no problems, this is Windows 10 and Chrome I am talking about.

The only work around I have found is the one mentioned by John, rotating and cropping in the photo program.

Rick

It happened to me using;Cannon Powershot SD750 and Windows laptop, w/ Firefox, sized by FastStone

As a matter of fact all the photos are from an iPhone and they do look correct in Chrome and Windows 10…so I’ll just plan on doing the cropping thing and upload again.

Thanks,

Richard

A couple of thoughts…

Photo orientation, especially on cell phones, is dependent on the orientation of the phone when th picture is taken. Pictures taken with the phone vertical in the long directions will be taller than wide. Some browsers will automatically display the picture correctly regardless.

When sizing photos in software like Fastone (I use it exclusively), pay attention to the default aspect ratio, that can trip you up as well. One part of the issue is that we are using a forum software that is not intended to be social media for the ignorant where the software fixes everything for us. This isn’t Facebook, let’s not ask it to be.

To any who might be interested I think I may have found a solution…Both pictures were taken with my iPhone moments apart. The first one was put on the setting of “Portrait” and the second was the default “Photo”. The first loaded correctly as taken and the second loaded with it laying sideways. I’m thinking this due to the dimensions of the “Portrait” versus “Photo”…Probably a bit closer to the 480 x 640.

I’ll play with a few more and load them to see if this stays consistent…if it does it doesn’t do anything for the photos already taken, but it does tell me for future shots I may want to post and share to use “Portrait” instead of the standard “Photo”.

Thanks,

Richard

To any who might be interested I think I may have found a solution…Both pictures were taken with my iPhone moments apart. The first one was put on the setting of “Portrait” and the second was the default “Photo”. The first loaded correctly as taken and the second loaded with it laying sideways. I’m thinking this is due to the dimensions of the “Portrait” versus “Photo”…Probably a bit closer to the 480 x 640.

I’ll play with a few more and load them to see if this stays consistent…it doesn’t do anything for the photos already taken, but it does tell me for future shots I may want to post and share to use “Portrait” instead of the standard “Photo”. I don’t know about any other phone brands like Samsung, etc because I don’t own those…but give it a try and see…

Thanks,

Richard

I noticed something, at least with win10, when I view a directory with thumbnails… sometimes the thumbnails are rotated, and this view does not seem to be connected to the portrait or landscape orientation of the picture itself when it is displayed.

I noticed some utilities seem to “look” at the orientation of the thumbnail… weird…

so if you view the directory that has the picture in thumbnail mode, see if any thumbnails are oriented incorrectly… notice if you right click on a thumbnail, the is a “rotate right” and a “rotate left” command in the context menu that pops up.

Not sure this is a solution, or your problem, but I have had it affect things sometimes.

Greg

Greg et al.

The same rotate command in the right click drop down menu is available in Windows 7 as well (so it is probably there in Windows 8 too). (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Greg and Joe, yea, the rotate click worked great in the photo file but would snap right back sideways when transferred to FS. At least that’s the way it worked for me with cell phone pictures.

Bob is also right about the orientation of the phone when taking the picture.

Yep, the “display mode” of the thumbnail does not affect the true orientation of the actual picture file… remember that windows keeps the thumbnail in “thumbs.db” a separate file in the directory.

Greg

For another post about my railroad remodel I chose pictures I wanted to post and put them in a separate folder. I then mass loaded them in my Photoshop Elements program and changed the image size of each to 480x640 or 640x480 based on the pictures orientation. I then uploaded them to LSC and they all posted with the correct orientation. But for future iPhone photos I’ll be sure to choose “Portrait” instead of the default “Photo”.

Richard