Large Scale Central

Frank S

I can’t put enough butane into the fuel tank.

I don’t have one, scroll down to ‘The Run’…

http://www.sidestreet.info/locos/loco60.html

Oh welcome.

I think you just set the record for the most succinct first post ever.

Welcome!

Welcome Bill,

Can you give us more info on your fueling issues?

How do you know you’re not getting enough in? Does it instantly squirt out, or is there no pressure when you light it? Are there any other useful details of note?

As the article John posted points out, you may try using a different can or fill adapter. Warming the tank may help too. It could be that you have some dirt lodged in the filler or in the burner jet orifice depending on the nature of your issue. Lots of knowledgeable people here, and I’m sure they can help but we’ll need a bit more info.

-Randy

I think Randy is showing there’s more information required…

I have owned this engine for 7 years and haven’t had any problems until this year. I had the same problem that Marc was having. I could get some butane in sometimes (but not enough to get enough steam up to run) and then sometimes it acted like the tank was full and spit butane (sometimes in liquid) around the valve, I took the valve out and get butane through it. I have the Frank S manual but it doesn’t address this issue. I guess I should contact Jason to see he has any valves that would fit. The half dozen that I have won’t. I remember the series about steam engine reviews but I couldn’t find any of them; however I got lost in other back issues of GR and SitG. You forget how long ago that 1988 was and articles written by those no longer with us…and the prices(???)

Don’t warm the tank. That will increase the pressure of any gas in it and slow the transfer from the gas can. Warm the supply can in cool weather. Warm the tank after it is filled if necessary to get a sufficient supply to the burner.

First, push down on the gas can nipple and/or gas can adapter to be sure there is gas in the can and the adapter is working. Next disconnect the loco from the tender so the tube containing the jet is free from the locomotive jet holder. Open the gas valve all the way and apply the supply can to the tank filler valve. You should get liquid or gas out of the jet in a steady stream. If you get an intermittent spurting the jet is dirty. If you get nothing then the filler valve on the tank in the tender is not working and should be replaced.

As you fill the tender tank there should be a hiss of escaping gas around the valve and when the tank is full of liquid there should be an increased flow of liquid at that point. If you get the flow of liquid all the time while filling then the gas can adapter doesn’t fit properly and the tank won’t fill, try another adapter. If you don’t get the liquid escape then the tank is not filled and the filler valve will need to be replaced. It may be possible to remove the filler valve, clean it (perhaps ultrasonically) and lubricate the spring to get it working.

Kevin O’Connor wrote a treatise on running a Frank S. It can be seen at www.southernsteamtrains.com/notes/franks1.htm

Bill, I just think the valve is old like us and I’m fairly sure it isn’t a standard Ronson valve. Jason will know.

Now there’s a succinct answer!

as soon as I saw the article on the Frank S from KO-5, I remembered the wood supports that I made. Thats probably why I couldn’t get the fuel in, wasn’t following KO-5’s instructions. I haven’t attempted it yet. It was 93 degrees today with about 75% humidity. I can’t get thrilled about being outside.

Bill, I would like to know how you make out. Another Frank S owner in Massachusetts was having problems and found that the butane tank filler valve is not a standard thread.

If Kevin’s wood blocks are the answer a number of folks would be happy to know that.

Never thought I would learn vocabulary here, but now I know what succint means. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

there one for sale on eBay, $999.00. Multitude of articles in Steam in the Garden magazine. I have the manual that came with it.

I haven’t run it yet, waiting for free time.

So, what was the answer, did you succeed to fill the tank?

For those of use who don’t know, what do the wood supports have to do with it?

Thanks, Greg

I haven’t had time to fill the tank, (I never bring an engine back into the house until I have emptied the fuel tank) and with a full Frank S tank, that’s a long time to empty it if I get it filled.

[From the article by Kevin O’Connor’s article on the Frank S} “Two of the wood steam up blocks elevate the drive wheels of the engine out of contact with the rails so they can rotate in place and warm up the mechanism while clearing the piston valves and cylinders of condensate and excess steam oil. This concept can be used of all steam engines. The third one is placed under the front of the tender which cants the fuel tank up at an angle so the tillage (gas bubble) in the tank is forced forward and there is no chance of passing liquid fuel through the delivery tube and nozzle.”

Hopes that helps.

B

so using the block on the tender moves the air bubble to near the “output” of the tank. Don’t see how not using the block affects filling the tank. Purging gas from the tank and filling more liquid would though, just like my cigar lighters, if you have too much gas in the tank, and you add liquid, the gas becomes so compressed that the pressure blocks more liquid entering… so you fill, and then purge and then fill again.

Greg

My Frank S was a shelf queen for many years. I got it in an estate sale and ran it last week in Sacramento’s 80ºF weather with no problem. I took it to Saramento Valley Live Steam Fall Meet today and did the usual proceedure. It filled with fuel the first couple of times I ran it, but less time than the run last Monday. After it cooled down, I refilled the tank(s) and tried to run it again. No luck. At first it acted like it had no fuel, even after two different containers and adapters were used. We cleaned the jet into the engine and tried again. Then the flame wouldn’t stay on. The flame would light, then pop and go down the smoke stake, then go out. Repeatedly. So I brought it home and called it a day.

Larry Bangham used a low voltage bulb as a butane tank heater.

if any one knows how to contact him, please advise

Bill Hendrick said:

Larry Bangham used a low voltage bulb as a butane tank heater.

if any one knows how to contact him, please advise

All Larry’s articles were published in SitG several years ago. I’d contact the editor, Scott, and ask him to contact Larry on your behalf.

https://steamup.com/ Steam-in-the-Garden Magazine