Large Scale Central

My Goose #5

Making this thread to document my Goose #5. I’ve been wanting one for ages, and finally I got one from Don Howard last month. This weekend I started the battery/RC/sound conversion. I have opened the back box, removed the stove, and the circuit for the track wiring. That gives me a good amount of space inside, in a place thats not obvious given the side windows. I have installed the Revolution receiver, and I know where the battery is going to live. I am waiting for a Phoenix to show up this week, and then I will figure out where everything else will live, build the charging circuit, fiddle with the lights, and button it up.

A request for lots of pictures as you go. Following.

There’s a stove in a goose? I always thought it was the other way around? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Sounds like a fun project. Any pictures?

Here’s where it stands now. Back off, hooked up to make sure things sill work as I go.

Existing wiring sorted out. The two taped wires are the track leads. The fat two in the middle are the leads to the motor. The other three are the wires to the front lights.

Revo RX in place. The Phoenix will, hopefully, fit on the other side of the door.

And a look at most of the parts. 2600MAH battery pack, charging jack, on/off switch, plugs and wires.

Bob,

Great project. I’ve been wanting a #5 for several years now. Wish I could find one. I’ll be watching this conversion with much enthusiasm.

Doc

Where are you going to mount the link button or just going to push the door open and reach in? the other question is are you going to fuse this?

Thanks Richard

Plan is to drill a couple more holes in the floor in the back. There are already two provided, and I’ll need 5 total. Not an issue of space.

Finalized the wiring today, and have everything assembled, waiting for the silicone around the speaker to dry before I button it up.

Holes drilled in the rear of the floor for the various bits.

Speaker in place, as well as all the switches and plugs.

Phoenix and Revolution RX mounted to the rear of the box.

And a test run

ok that cracks me up that it takes a couple of tries before the thing fires up!!! sounds great too!

Pete Lassen said:

ok that cracks me up that it takes a couple of tries before the thing fires up!!! sounds great too!

I run mine p-t-p but devised a way to delay the start and make it go through the start routine automatically when it receives rail voltage.

Last month I picked up a Phoenix SD40, 2K2 card on ebay and am having it reprogrammed as a goose (with aaooga horn) for use in a Delton Doozy. (The goose card can be programmed to either horn.) It also runs p-t-p and I will do this to it also.

My circuit:

I like it.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Pete Lassen said:

Hehe…yep !

I love listening to the starter engaging then cranking over. It would be really over the top if he bolted some Nathan K-5’s on her!

I found four 15v grain-o-rice bulbs in my parts pile, so that’s the last piece of this puzzle.

Bob can you control the sound volume from your hand held if not Phoenix posted a nice little circuit I have done it and works well it is also posted here http://ovgrs.org/the-trains/sound/phoenix-sound-p8-wiring-tips/

Richard

Richard said:

Bob can you control the sound volume from your hand held if not Phoenix posted a nice little circuit I have done it and works well it is also posted here http://ovgrs.org/the-trains/sound/phoenix-sound-p8-wiring-tips/

Richard

I assemble a small interface board for the Revolution receiver and P8 trigger wires.

This one for a K27 has the volume control components at the top and the chuff correction components at the bottom. Pushing the Revolution throttle key 5jkL for Less Volume and Mno for More volume.

I finally figured out how to get the two bulbs out of the side lights on the front of the goose. I will be buttoning it up soon, and hope to have video of it keeping the passengers happy.

And, I’m pretty sure I trashed the revo in this. Getting ready to button it up, did one last test. Turn it on, I get the Phoenix sound starting, but no lights front or back, and maybe 20 seconds later shuts off. Tried with two diff batteries. Ugh. Next I’m going to swap with another RX from something if I can find an easily accessible one. :frowning:

Yup. Swapped for the one out of my out-of-service Connie, and it works fine. So now I have two dead Revo RX. Blah.

Find that hard to believe even though I have no experience with them. Are you sure nothing is like feeding back causing them to go dead ?

Well, this is two over a handful of years. No idea why this one decided to go, it was working fine a week or so ago. Since its a brass model, its possible there was some short somewhere, but there’s nothing obvious, and all the connections are shrink wrapped. I just built a nice styrene mounting plate for the RX, and will Goop it together once that’s dry.